Friday, July 30, 2010

The Incident: Part 4

I worry a little that my readers picture me as a fragile, wounded bird this week. The tone of the emails from readers I’ve been getting has been unvaryingly supportive, but there’s just a touch of over-concern for my well-being that makes me suspect that Breeder’s Readers are imagining me sitting alone by candlelight, slugging back strong drink for fortitude, and then pouring out my heart while listening to the Carpenters or Wilson-Phillips and sobbing quietly to myself.

Um, no.

This incident happened a very long time ago. I made peace with it a long time ago, as well. Writing about it hasn’t made me feel sad, or shamed, or angry, save in the most abstracted of ways. I’ve been trying very hard to get it right on paper, that’s for sure. But in a sense, it’s the story of someone who lived a long time ago.

Of course, there’s more to it.

I didn’t leave my apartment at all for at least a week and a half, after the assault. I missed the first classes of the new semester. I let mail pile up in my box downstairs. I ran out of food fairly quickly and was subsisting on the canned goods I never thought I’d eat, peanut butter, and the butts of bread loaves.

My injuries weren’t actually all that substantial. The cuts on my head amounted to a small V-shaped laceration on my forehead and an uglier one on my right cheek; I still have a pale, ghostly fingertip-sized scar there to this day. My right ear had some slices that healed fairly quickly as well. For a couple of days I was off-and-on dizzy and convinced I was concussed, but I didn’t want to have to visit a hospital and explain what happened to me. My hole recuperated. There was no irreparable damage there. It took weeks before I got over the feeling of having been fucked by a knife, though.

I didn’t want to tell anyone, in fact. I wanted the incident to go away, to disappear. Part of me was convinced internally that if it was never spoken of, if it didn’t become a part of my official recorded history, if there were no files, no conversations, no post-mortem examinations of what happened, it would vanish. It would be one of those untold stories that was as insubstantial as smoke or fog, and like those vapors would dissipate and be forgotten.

Even when I did leave my apartment (I was starving, basically, and had to eventually), I’d scamper back to its protection almost immediately after. I shopped in bulk so I wouldn’t have to visit the supermarket more than once a month. I’d dash to a class, take notes and say nothing, then streak immediately back home with no socializing, no speaking. The less talking I had to do, the better. It was a bad month of my life—at one point I woke up one morning and realized I’d literally not opened my mouth to say a word in weeks.

Part of my reluctance to open my mouth was directly Tom’s fault. I had a weird conviction that he’d been right about the FBI bugging his apartment. I hadn’t taken it seriously at all until the day I finally left home to go to the supermarket; when I came back, I found exterminators in my apartment, who claimed they’d been there to spray the outlets. Exterminators in my apartment building weren’t uncommon—the place was a roach motel—but the timing of it was so odd that I couldn’t help but be paranoid for a very long time that they’d been bugging my place, too.

But here’s the codicil to the story that I’ve never been able to figure out.

I avoided the bar and the campus cruising spots for a very long time after that, so I wouldn’t have to run into Tom again. And I never did. I didn’t report him—which I regret now—I didn’t confront him. I was too busy trying to deny that any of it ever happened. One day, about three weeks after the incident, I did see the familiar shock of blond-white hair walking out of my apartment building, when I looked out the window. I waited for a very long time before going to the lobby. In fact, I watched Tom walk two blocks before I dared venture down.

The daytime manager hailed me at the front desk when I passed. “Some guy dropped off something for you,” he said. And he handed me a little package.

I could tell immediately it was a thin paperback book, judging by the size and flexibility of it. It had been clumsily wrapped in brown paper from a lunch or grocery bag and, in a frenzy of “My Favorite Things” cliches, tied up with twine. I pulled off the wrappings and found myself holding a battered, used copy of Voltaire’s Candide. No note, nothing. It wasn’t until later that night that I thought to look inside. Written on one of the first pages was a short note: Read this and you’ll know why.

My first reaction: What the fuck?

My reaction today: What the fuck?

I have never been able to figure out what in the world he meant by those words. Cunégonde is raped in Candide. The Old Woman’s past includes rape. Candide himself learns from the Bulgarians that soldiers feel entitled to rape any woman they can. Was he trying to tell me to keep optimistic despite being assaulted? That my youthful optimism was totally misplaced? That he was a Bulgarian soldier?

Or was he just balls-out crazy? I don’t know. I just don’t. It’s odd and somewhat ironic that Bernstein’s Candide has been one of my favorite musical works for the last ten or fifteen years; when I want to wrap myself in comfort, I’ll put on one of my many versions and let the familiar music surround me. I've no bad memories associated with it whatsoever.

What the original novel has to do with anything that happened to me, though, remains a mystery.

I never saw Tom again, as I said. Eventually I realized that silence wasn’t possible any more, and I sought counseling. I talked about it. I wrote about my feelings afterward—though I've never actually written out what happened until this week.

Little by little, bit by bit, I healed. I really did.

I explained it to a reader thusly, a few days ago: at this point, the assault is very much like having had a severe leg injury, long ago. At the time, it hurt a lot. When it happened, I found myself hobbling for weeks and months. Over time it’s healed, though. I don’t even notice it any more. There might be a wintry dark day now and again when the cold gives the old leg injury a twinge. But it doesn’t prevent me from getting around at all. I don’t limp. I don’t give it preferential treatment. Sure, jab at it with your fingertip over and over again and ask loudly, “Hey, does that hurt?” and I’m likely to kick you in the nuts and say that yes indeed, it does.

But the old injury doesn’t impede me, if that makes sense. The vast majority of the time, I pay it no never-mind. One very bad night didn’t cripple me. I’m not handicapped, or damaged. I don’t hobble, or shorten my stride. I still walk upright.

Despite the odd twinge from time to time, I'm doing all right. I’m a very lucky man.

27 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have gotten this out of your system...

    In regards to Tom and "Candide"--I don't think your clues as to why he sent that book are about the rapes in the story. As you write it, I got the impression that he thought you should be enjoying it--I'm fairly sure he didn't consider it rape at all.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rob for sharing this . Words dont express how I feel. Your such an intriguing character. I guess I am left asking how you would avoid having this occur again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And of course I want you more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank-you for sharing this. It has helped me. I too am a rape victim. I have very different circumstances, but knowing other men have suffered rape from another man somehow helps. My shrink actually told me to go to a womens rape support group!! I still find it unbelievable! Thanks again. I find your blog somehow comforting. Maybe it's another kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally accept that you are fine and that you have indeed moved on, notwithstanding that some situations can trigger some bad moments. That doesn't change the fact that your recitation of the violence in part 3 really did bring tears to my eyes.

    I think what you are experiencing is the power of your writing. I can't speak for your other readers, but I felt that i needed some closure after reading it. I needed to reach out and I need to say to you "Rob, my god, I'm so sorry that happened to you."

    No cause for you to worry that you've burdened, or over-burdened your readers. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FelchingPisser--

    Mostly I just think the guy was psycho. I can't help but suspect he knew he did something wrong, else there wouldn't be anything to 'understand'. Whatever it was rests squarely in that brain of his, if he's managed to last this long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Johnny,

    This time I know I'd be angry enough to fight back, and definitely to do something about the cretin afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jimbo,

    Though I think that both genders share a lot of the same reactions and feelings after such a traumatic assault, I think men have their own brand of isolation and shame that's better served in a men's or mixed support group.

    I've been oddly comforted by the comments of other survivors as well. Thank you for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RoswellTop,

    Your love touches and strengthens me. Thank you. Now wipe those tears away. It's a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rob:

    This will not be the first time I commend your objectivity. It will be the first time I do so here.

    I wish I could resist speculating about what Toxic Tom's final gesture meant. What a conundrum! Could Candide have been one of his favorite books? Was his psyche so twisted, so mutilated that he actually thought he could (and wanted to) make amends, somehow? That would be too perverse for words, his "gift" of literature notwithstanding; but I am not quite ready to rule it out. Candide has been interpreted in so many ways, and at so many different levels -- it is difficult enough to decide what the work does not signify, what might not apply to you. Nevertheless, I am left with the troubling sense that you represented too much of what TT aspired to, but failed at -- "bitter grapes," for him. His psyche seems to have been the sort that is compelled to destroy what it cannot embrace; and I, for one, think the notion of lost innocence central to most interpretations of Candide. So, I wonder if TT did poorly in subjects where you excelled, vented his shame-fueled rage by bombing university property (perhaps even staff), lost what remained of his innocence in prison rapes, and found in you -- tragically -- an opportunity to act all of the ugliness out. In other words, his sense of compensating for loss was to symbolically duplicate it in someone else.

    You were fortunate indeed to suffer relatively little long-term damage. Thank goodness this monster failed to stalk you, or to inflict any more physical damage than he did, ugly as what you experienced was. (No wonder you had trouble leaving home!)

    Thank you for a most thought-provoking series. In the end, "WTF?!" may say as much as can be said about the soul of a psycopath.

    Yours As Always,
    "Anonymous Two"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm very glad you never saw Tom again. I feared your terrible story would only get worse.

    As for Candide, consider possibly that Tom himself was raped by a man years earlier (perhaps in prison) and unlike you he let his pain consume him and control him over the years. Maybe his act of raping you was his way of taking revenge on his rapist. His rapist took his power away, and by raping you he got his power back.

    Thankfully, you did not let Tom take your power. You only became stronger.

    Trey

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rob,
    You're writing, as always, is incredibly vivid and entrancing. The events you shared were very tough to read, but I can't really comprehend (empathize) the pain and shame you were feeling at that time. I'm glad you were able to write that and still be "OK". I understand better your issues with bottoming.

    As for the "Candide" ending, I just have to agree with you on WTF. No interpretation will ever get at what that psycho was thinking. I hope he's gone from this world. I'm glad you're here writing, and sharing and living life to it's fullest!

    Jim (jc_a2@livejournal.com)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Roswell Top put perfectly into words what my thoughts were after reading this installment.

    You are a strong, resilliant, funny, endearing man. Thank you. Thank you for putting this out there. For sharing the good and the bad with us. Just for being YOU.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Candide? From your experience, I would've thought he'd give you de Sade's Justine, where no virtue goes unpunished.

    ***
    What an odd, awful, and depraved fellow that Tom was. Even if his violence against you was compelled by having had violence visited upon him years ago (which could very well be; on my part, I recall a similar desire to inflict violence upon another person after I had been raped), it does not in any excuse his actions; being adult human beings, we bear the responsibility of our actions and his violations against you are his responsibility, not yours or society's.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear Two,

    I wish I could resist speculating, too.It's like one of those writing exercises in which one examines a situations and tries to come up with as many possible ways to construct a story as one can.

    The notion of lost innocence is tempting to speculate around, as are the themes of being thrown into the world and all its ugliness with little preparation. But jeez, who can really say, other than him? And it's not as if I ever intend to ask, if I encountered him again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trey,

    I did let Tom steal my self-determination away for a while. But eventually I got it back. In these situations, it's the long run that's important.

    Thanks for your comment and your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leslie,

    Thank you most sincerely. (But you left off 'devastatingly handsome.')

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nick,

    You're right. An explanation is not an excuse. I am totally with you there.

    I think people look for explanations, though, because a story is easier for them to comprehend than random, unexplainable violence; an act of violence with no motive behind it seems the most dark and sinister thing imaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree. It's also why people blame the victim; if they can't figure out some reason it happened to that other person and not them, they have to live with the fear that it will happen to them.

    Btw, this is Christopher. I finally created a Google ID!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christopher,

    That was really an insight, there. Thanks for pointing that out--I'd never thought of it that way.

    And yay for the Google ID (though it's hardly mandatory)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been reading your blog for a few months now....and I have to say, its now become the one and only website check daily.

    I was initially drawn to your blog because of the overt sexuality...but its become a daily checkout for me because of the quality of your writing and your character.

    We've been conditioned as a society to equate 'unsafe' sex as a lacking of moral character...degenerate behaviour...and I love that you break that stereotype with your open and honest approach.

    Thank you for sharing that story...I can't imagine how hard it was to write...every sentence scrutinized....thank you.

    I think your great buddy. Keep it up. And thanks for mentioning cam4 in one of your posts....its opened me upto a brave new world of exhibitionism...:)

    much love
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  22. The last comment I'll make about this incident stems from my never-ending quest to see some good in every ill. I think it's safe to say that this horrible event well and surely completed your transition from bottom to top, just at the time when the AIDS pandemic was starting to sweep through the gay community. I would never be so ridiculously crass as to say that Tom did you a favor, but given the amount of random semen that found its way into your backside previously, this evil man may have saved your life.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Steve,

    You are a peach for all the kind things you say. I'm honestly humbled. Thank you.

    It's a shame that we use sexual behaviors as a shorthand means to cut each other down and to establish moral superiority over each other. We all of us are sinners in our various ways.

    Thank you for the love. I genuinely feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fella,

    You do have a valid point. I'd been aware of the AIDS pandemic for several years at that point (I had been as early as college, when I read about it in the Village Voice, to which I subscribed). And although my tendencies in position were changing naturally about that time, the man I here called Tom shut down any further unprotected bottoming I might have done for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for sharing this very personal part of your past with us. I cant pretend to even come close to knowing what you went through or how much inner strength you have to write this but it is certainly admirable. I have a lot of respect for you for coming through it. I sincerely hope Tom got whatever was coming to him.

    I read the post that led up to this and was dismayed at some of the responses you received! You have been very generous sharing your inner most experiences and its disappointing to see how some parts of humanity react. Hopefully they will never have to go through what you have.

    If you ever travel to London then let me know. it would be nice to go for a drink with the man behind the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gordon,

    Thanks for that. I really appreciate your good faith. I'd raise a mug with you anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Unbelievable!! you are one strong individual...it would be easy for me to say "I would report this..." when actually I (nor any of us for that matter...) REALLY DON'T know what I would do in this situation. You most likely reacted in a way best for you. BLOGGER is a wonderful tool for getting stuff off your chest, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete