Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Samir

Samir had been born in Mumbai, though he’d spent half his life in the U.S. His parents had arranged for him to live with an uncle in a small Michigan city by the time he was nine, so he could get a good education. He attended college at the institution where I was teaching at the time, and worked in my department as a student assistant. I got to know Samir first in the copy room, where the department secretaries seemed to have sent him to live on a more or less permanent basis; the kid was in there from nine in the morning until he left for his classes in the mid-afternoon. He was always super-friendly and never failed to be polite. No matter how much copying of course packs and grad school applications he had, he’d greet me with a smile and ask how I was, or inquire about my classes.

A good kid, like so many that passed through our offices. He was more than eighteen or nineteen when first I met him, and gifted with broad, masculine features and skin the color of dried tobacco leaves.

I got to know Samir a little better a semester after he started working for us, when I ran across him in the cruisy university library men’s room. I’d entered after lunch one day, hoping to find some teacher-on-student action. The door creaked enough to give anyone playing within plenty of notice to compose themselves; by the time I appeared around the bend into the restroom proper, the two guys who’d been playing with each other had separated and stood at the urinals, with a innocent space between them.

One of them was another staff member I recognized as a regular haunt of the place. He zipped up, nodded, and scampered out without washing his hands. The other was Samir. He stammered at the sight of me. That smile, which he’d always offered so freely at the copier, faltered for the first time since I’d known him. I was a little shocked myself. I’d run across students I knew and other faculty with whom I’d interact at the restrooms before, but I’d never thought I’d be running into the department’s student assistant. Briefly I considered pretending to pee and simply leaving, sparing us both any potential embarrassment.

But you know me. I don’t do that.

I stepped up to the spot the other guy had vacated, unzipped, and hauled out both my dick and my nuts. While I maintained eye contact with Samir and kept him talking, I got myself hard. Then I stepped back slightly and displayed my hard dick.

He stopped talking at the sight of it. His eyes traveled from my meat to my face. When I nodded, giving him permission, he knelt right there on the tile and sucked me. I enjoyed his mouth for a couple of minutes, but when we separated at the sound of footsteps in the stairwell outside, I suggested we take it back to my office.

And that’s where we had sex for three years after. Lunchtimes, two or three times a week, Samir would timidly knock at my office door. Always he had some kind of excuse to be there—he was bringing me the copies I’d (never) asked him to make, or he was bringing me my departmental mail, or handing me some blank slips of pink paper and pretending they were phone messages. I’d invite him in. He’d shut the door, and without saying a word, he’d pull off his shirt and drop his pants around his ankles. While I admired his lean, hard brown body, I’d let my pants drop and groan when he’d drop to the carpet to suck me.

Samir liked to be fucked best of all. I found that out from day one. He’d suck my dick until it was sloppy with his spit while he greased up his hole with the bottle of lube I kept in my desk’s top drawer. Once he knew where it was, he’d fetch it himself, so that by the time he was ready for me to enter him, he’d be slick and open. He always let as little time pass as possible, from the moment my dick left his mouth and before it pushed against the pink-rimmed edges of his brown little pucker.

It was the entry that Samir liked best. His dick would be at its hardest, as I pushed my way in. While he leaned over my desk and let his torso rest on its flat expanse, his tiny uncut dick would hang over the desktop’s edge. Pre-cum would drip from his foreskin and down the desk’s side, where it would dry into visible tracks if I didn’t remember to wipe it clean after. Once I’d shoved my inches all the way into him, his dick would soften slightly, but still remain turgid. His face would contort so that his eyebrows were furrowed and his eyes shut. The entire time I fucked, he always looked as if he were trying to sort out a problem while he slept, or was caught on that knife’s edge between extreme pain and pleasure. I loved that face on him.

He must have gotten some pleasure from it. Every time I fucked him, he’d wait until I’d filled his ass with cum before he’d touch himself. Then he’d give his dick a few quick little strokes, and he’d shoot an enormous load on my desk. He’d use Kleenex to wipe off himself, my dick, and the office furniture, and then he’d slip out with a smile and a slightly embarrassed look.

It was an ideal situation. We never discussed the arrangement, or never talked about anything weighty or serious. If I’d encounter him in the copier room or the departmental office, he never betrayed that we shared anything beyond a mild interest in movies or whatever was on TV the night before.

Until he graduated, that was. A week before he was due to receive his diploma, Samir appeared in my office. After shutting the door as usual, he stood in place for a long time. He didn’t remove his clothing. “What’s wrong?” I asked, finally catching on that all was not right with him.

He burst into tears. The kid was inconsolable. I sat him down in one of the chairs I used for visitors and wept with his face in his hands. Piece by piece, little by little, I got the story out of him. Samir had intended to attend grad school at the university and live in the U.S. after graduation—he’d even already been accepted and made plans to keep his room in the little apartment that he shared with four other Indian students. His parents, however, had other ideas. They’d picked out a bride for Samir, a girl he’d never seen or heard of. He was expected to return home to marry the girl, live with her in his family’s home, and start a family of his own.

“You have choices,” I told him, over and over again. But no, he insisted he didn’t. His family had footed the bill for his foreign education, and now they were calling in the debt. I sat there and let him lean against me while I kept my arms around him as he cried and cried. By the time he was finally done, I was late to leave, and he had been missing from his office duties for a couple of hours. I wiped off his face with a damp cloth, straightened out his rumpled clothing, and told him everything would be all right.

Even though I knew it probably wouldn’t, for a long time.

I never fucked Samir again. During that last week before his graduation, he’d regard me with a stricken expression whenever I’d encounter him on the department floor. I didn’t push it—it seemed cruel, to me, that prospect of giving up for a lifetime what he clearly craved. Then a day after the graduation, he was gone. Off the department’s employment roster. I’d hoped he’d at least stop by for a farewell before he left, but I never got that closure.

I wonder about Samir now. He’d be in his early thirties, married to some plump, pretty girl who was probably terrified as much by his parents as he clearly had been. They would have had time to produce babies with skin the shade of dried tobacco, exactly as his own parents had expected. I mourn a little to think he assumed he never had choices. He did. He might not have wanted to face those choices or their consequences, but they were always there.

Most of all, I hope he’s found something approximating happiness. That’s what I wish for him.

19 comments:

  1. a beautiful, sad story. So many layers to this man we call the breeder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm...mate...truly, you are an inspiration. I am profoundly moved by your innate depth and authenticity as Top, as a MAN and as a human being.

    At this very moment, I'm experiencing a bit of grief, triggered by this beautiful reflection of yours, yet tappin'away at my keyboard with the heaviest,fatest hardon I've had in months. At minimum, I'm feeling conflicted...yet soooo horny.

    I have to admit I spent a few hours this past weekend exploring and revisiting your entire blog so I'm feelin'you in a big way at the moment. Reminded me of your mesmerizing recollection of your Father...a major boner bonus.

    http://mrsteed64.blogspot.com/2010/05/very-bad-day.html

    And from the bottom of my heart to the tip of my cock...THANK YOU, Mate! It's so settling to know MEN like you are out there, ushering-in a broad range of eager, vulnerable and sexually charged men.

    I belive the safety you communicate through your actions, words and integrity are seemlessly transcend your sexual v. personal experiences with those men who are present and aware of the golden opportunity on offer...YOU!

    Again...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a beautiful, lovely man, almost beyond my power to express. Thank you, once again! Your sharings here are always such pleasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another wonderful story. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David,

    Oh, I don't know that I have that many layers. I'm just the storyteller, not the story. :-) Thank you, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sir,

    Thanks for that high praise of yours. I'm glad you have a good assessment of me. I wish I thought I was so golden an opportunity!

    I'm sincerely grateful for your really kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JFBreak,

    You're welcome. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You told a beautiful and engrossing story. Damn, you're talented. I do want to make two points.

    The first is that you just described my perfect fantasy. I have always been incredibly attracted to men in suits. My favorite fantasy has been to hook up with a businessman or professor in his office. It hasn't happened yet, so hopefully my dream comes true.

    Second, you kept saying how "he had choices," but he kind of didn't. I don't want to seem condescending, but you might not understand what he was going through. He's Indian, so he probably comes from a culture that really focuses on respect for one's parents. If he hadn't gone back, he wouldn't just be disobeying his parents, he would be dishonoring his entire family. Even if he didn't mind hurting his parents, after he refused to marry the girl, his whole family would have been seen as a failure in the community. He loved them too much to do that to them. It would be the American equivalent of me robbing my parents' house, running away to another country, and making sure the entire town knows what I did and that I don't care about my parents at all. I'm not saying he made the right decision or that you were wrong for trying to discourage him. But it is probably really difficult for people like us to completely understand what he was and probably still is going through. Also, you telling him that "he has choices" wasn't much compared to his family and an entire country's system that puts family honor and respect over individual wants and needs. I hope I haven't come off as a huge know-it-all jerk. Just thought I'd give you this info in case you weren't aware of it.

    Again, the story was amazing and you clearly had a good connection with Samir. Sounds like you had a great time together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Skilfully articulate, R.J. Your transparency and disclosure "people like us" reflects your deep appreciation for the complexity of the evolving social/systemic issues confronting GLBT (and others from marginalized sub-populations) as a result of general globalization.

    Our (Western) values and priorites as individuals AND as a society have been overhauled since 9/11 and I for one am significantly more aware, interested and concerned abou the rest of the world, beyond the comfort I unwittingly took for granted.

    Anyhoooooo...your insights here are so resfreshing and I want you to know they're also very much appreciated as a complement to Mr. Steed's exceptional literary gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for banging at the qwiki-hole... Please cum again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. R.J.,

    Thanks for your comments and your compliments. I appreciate them.

    I do understand what he was going through, both from what he told me that day and from what other natives of the country have explained to me since.

    Where I disagree--and I do so with all respect--is in your implication that the difference between two cultures excuses the institutionalized repression of one. The culture may explain the repression to a certain degree, but never, ever excuses it.

    Western culture has also traditionally insisted that homosexuality is wrong and a menace to societal order. However, were it not for the decisions of thousands upon thousands of men and women to risk the wrath of both their families and communities, and to suffer dishonor and disparagement, we simply wouldn't have the civil liberties we have and are still gaining.

    Samir had choices. They might not have been easy choices, or even good choices, and as I said in my entry, they wouldn't have been without consequence.

    To imply that he didn't is honestly to demean generation upon generation of men and women who made difficult decisions to stand up for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I completely agree with what you're mean. All I was suggesting was tell him he had "choices" was going to help him much. One guy he knows well versus his entire family, values, and country. He could have made one of those tough decisions, but it would have been incredibly difficult. I couldn't even imagine how hard it would be. You probably didn't mean to, but in your post you came across as not very understanding of his situation. That's what I was trying to point out. Sorry, if I offended you or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  14. R.J.,

    I'm the one who pointed out that the choices were bad, or unthinkable for him. I'm fully aware of that. You're the one who said he had no choices at all, not really.

    But he still had choices.

    At no point was I asking Samir to choose me over his family and country. I was suggesting he pursue staying in a country in which he had lived over half his life, over returning to a family he barely knew and to a future that clearly made him unhappy. I was not even part of that equation. I kept my tone fairly neutral in the entry. I did not record every bit of dialogue we had during that long afternoon. For the sake of readability, I did not include the did I scribe every alternative I suggested to him.

    To assume that I was not understanding of a sad, lonely boy crying his heart out in my office for several hours seems uncharitable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never said he had no choices, I was saying you don't seem to understand how difficult his choices were. Also, I didn't think you wanted him to choose you over is family. Your problem was that you kept saying "he had choices" as if you're the only person who has ever told him this. I'm sure he had thought of staying in America way before he met you and after you lost contact. You appeared to overestimating your importance in his life.

    Saying "he had choices" wasn't going to change his world view or his value system. Could you assure him he wouldn't lose contact with his family? That he would have a successful career? That he would finds a man to love? Of course, not.

    There were probably dozens of variables that went into his decision that didn't involve you at all. I'm glad to see that you discussed several alternatives.

    I'm sorry if I'm being annoying, but not really. Misunderstanding of cultural differences is what causes xenophobia and racism. Since fighting that is very important to me, I felt obligated to inform you of what you may not know. I looks like you understood more about his situation than I originally thought. Your post made you seem like a self-centered, culturally ignorant ass. YOU were disappointed in him because he do what YOU told him to do. Now I see that is not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  16. R.J.,

    It seems to me that you're more disappointed in me because I'm not falling over to agree with what you're telling me. That, sir, is what psychologists call projection.

    From the beginning you've projected a whole lot of assumptions about what I did and didn't say in in those hours. Imposing your own narrative over mine, especially a specious one in which you imagine my many shortcomings, doesn't really accomplish anything save to justify your self-righteous tone. If you had concerns that I didn't say enough about the conversation Samir and I had in the hours after he broke into tears, perhaps you shouldn't have said the story was beautiful and engrossing.

    It's a pity that your series of replies has devolved into name-calling, especially when I've been nothing but polite in my own responses. That alone tends to clue me in that your agenda here is to adopt a posture of ethical and cultural superiority that's you consider unassailable.

    Your apologies in all three of your replies seem to indicate at least a minimal awareness that you can sound like a know-it-all jerk, offensive, and annoying—your words in all three cases, I hasten to point out. Why you'd continue to take an abrasive tone with such self-knowledge puzzles me, and I'd ask that you desist.

    ReplyDelete
  17. R.J.,

    In response to the final comment of yours that I will not publish: it's not an apology or a sign of mutual understanding when you go out of the way to call someone names. What can be distilled to "I'm sorry you're such an asshole but I'm still right and always have been" is not an apology.

    Please desist. If I'm not being clear enough: don't post comments here any more. I won't be letting them appear. And I will no longer be responding to them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wonder how long "RJ" had been a reader of your blog. Even I, a newbie, can see that you respect virtually all races, cultures, beliefs... people. They may not be yours, but the respect is there. As is the awareness that one person, ANY one person, can choose differently. That choice can be excruciating and "outside the box", but it is still there. I see it as sad that he wasn't able to find a path that would give him happiness and not lose what he believed he would (e.g. respect, family, love, home). I am glad that you were there to have given him joy and comfort. Perhaps that has led to him finding such comfort in his life now.
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete