Friday, May 7, 2010

Ranting: Exceptions

Whenever I create an online profile at a hookup site, I’m always cautious to warn guys that I don’t fit into any of the traditional gay types. I might be lean, but I’m not muscled enough to fit the ideal of athletic. I’m forty-six, but not silver-haired enough and too young-looking to fit most people’s idea of daddy. I’m not a twink, I’m not a partier, not a leather man, not a cowboy, not an Indian or construction worker. I’m bearded, but too skinny and hairless otherwise for most bears to go for me, much as I love them.

I’m fine with falling between the cracks when it comes to type, though often it feels as if I’m apologizing to guys when they contact me. I’m not built like you, I feel obliged to warn the muscular guys with the model-quality bodies. Or, You’ve seen my face pics, right? I’ll ask the beautiful. When the bears start to grrrr and woof! at me, I feel as if I need to warn them that my body’s pink and smooth beneath the clothing.

Everyone wants what they want. I get that. But it’s always seemed to me as if the guys who categorize men into types don’t want those of us who ooze outside the clear coloring lines. Men who invest a lot of time and money into A&F shirts and baseball caps don’t usually seem to want someone who scorns the logos. Leathermen don’t often want to pick up someone who doesn’t own any gear. Bears, for all their talk about being dismissive of traditional gay stereotypes, have become a traditional gay stereotype who tend to ignore guys who don’t look like carbon copies of the burly bear blueprint.

It’s always seemed to me that a lot of men want men who are exactly like themselves, only two degrees hotter. And it’s for that reason that I spend too much time online warning guys what I’m not.

Of course there are plenty of men who will go to great lengths to explain in their profiles what they don’t want. No fats. No fems. No one over 30, over 35, over 40. 35+ ONLY. No one old enuf 2 b my dad lol. You must be fit. No one over 200 pounds. No blacks (sorry it’s just a preference). Brothas only no whites!!! No poz. Poz only! I have standards!

One of my biggest pet peeves is with gentlemen who structure their profiles so that they read like a list of prohibitions. I, as a type-defying sort, am often approached by this sort of guy for reasons I can't fathom. I’ll receive an email from a kid who’s written that he is interest in men under 35 ONLY, fit ONLY, and who lists himself as a top. Cum fuck me lol! he'll say. Or I’ll be on Adam4Adam and get an email from a black guy who says, pretty explicitly, that under no circumstances is he interested in being with a white man.

Every time I write back and point out that I don’t fit their criterion. I always get the same response: I’m willing to make an exception.

And every time I do, my own reaction is the same: Well thank you very goddamned much, but don’t do me any favors.

People, if you’re going going to devote so much energy in your online profile to excluding guys, don’t be surprised when they react badly to suddenly being propositioned. What you’re telling me, essentially, is that none of the men meeting your rigid standards are online or want to hook up with you, and that out of boredom or horniness, you’ve decided that I’ll do. I'm your Plan B. Or Plan C, even.

I really don’t want to be anyone’s exception any more than I want to be anyone’s pity fuck. For one thing, I don’t have to be either. I’m not desperate, or unattractive, or in need of pity. I do just fine, thanks. If you want to have sex with me, don’t do it with the proviso of you’re not my type, but. . . . or I’m going outside my usual restrictions for you. I’m not going to feel grateful. I’m not even going to take you up on the grudging offer. I’m simply going to say, Thanks, but I see you’re not into guys my age [or height, or weight, or color, or whatever]. Good luck finding what you want.

And then I’ll never reply to you again.

I know, it’s kind of harsh. I could be missing out on some good times. But at the same time, I enjoy having sex with men who are really there, who are in the moment and enjoying themselves. I’m not likely to get that with someone who is lying there thinking, Jeez, I wish this guy were under 30. Or, I’d surely rather be naked with someone who looked different from you. I don't want to be with someone who's slumming.

That might not be what the guy thought to himself as we romped, certainly. But it would be what I’d be projecting on him, and that’d be enough to yank me out of it.

You like what you like. As I said, I get that. I don’t expect all guys to like me.

Just want me for what I am, that’s all I ask. Don’t make me your exception.

34 comments:

  1. from reading your blog I would describe you as...

    sexy, 40's, INTELLIGENT, kind, stud with an insatiable big cock that likes to make ur partner feel as good as you do. a stud who can expand limits and respect limitations.

    the kind of stud we would all be lucky to find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan, you are the sweetest guy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have loved your post anyway (I always do) but since I've been thinking about these very things lately, I found it very cathartic to read. Thank you. One of the greatest things about you, which I saw right away from reading your blog, is that you don't fit stereotypes, you're your own person. That's what makes you so very interesting. The "types" are really just costumes - there's no there there. Guys who are truly interesting are the ones you have to look at for a while to understand, who surprise you with the unexpected, who dare to not add up to a "type." Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark,

    That is the most handsome compliment you could've given me. Thank you.

    Some guys fall naturally into a type. Others strain hard against their natures to fit into one. One of the gifts of alternate sexuality, I always thought, is that it gave people a fresh perspective on the world; it seems a shame that so many want to abandon that perspective in order to wedge themselves into pre-approved boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took this post very much to heart. I used to be one of the people whose profile read like a list of prohibitions. As I've matured myself (to the ripe age of 28 now! lol) I've opened my horizons to those who didn't quite fit "my type" and found that the best sex I've had was with those who didn't. By now I don't even really consider myself as having a type. I actually read profiles and find guys of substance that sound fun! I still find some guys physically attractive and those that I don't. I don't think that will ever not be true, but I've found that as I look deeper, the range of guys I find physically attractive also expands greatly and I've found those young twinks I used to love so much to be mostly a turn off if they're immature. I would def pick you over them any day! Any guy would be lucky to be with you. I think gays just need to grow up and stop being so cliquey. It's not high school anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "To thine ownself be true. Thou cans't not then be false to any man" -Shakespeare.

    You appeal to me on so many levels--sexually, intellectually, personality.
    Continue to be yourself. Don't pre-set false "standards". It's your whole package (no pun intended) that gives me a hard on. -Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob, I sincerely wasn't fishing for compliments with this post, but I really enjoyed yours. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naughtynorth,

    I'm happy to hear you've broadened your horizons as you approach old age at 28! I'm kidding, of course.

    Like you, I find some men have looks that appeal to me, and some men have looks that don't. Everybody has their preferences and tastes. But you're right--once you look deeper, you'll find a whole range of attractive guys out there. I applaud your level-headed approach. You can be a part of my clique anytime.

    Well, it's not really a clique. It's more of a harem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'm not most bears: I'd jump into the sack with you in a second.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, jayd, thanks. That soothes the sting of being rejected from bear411.com a couple of years ago for not being beary enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. O.M.G. I can't tell you how much I hate bear411. I've been trying to steer people away from it for years and years. The owner/dictator is a cunt, and a terrible web developer to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jayd, he was certainly cunty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is the funniest thing. I have one hookup profile - on Adam4Adam - and I can't for the life of me recall what my description is on there, but I do recall that I was always surprised at the people who would contact me and I wouldn't fit what they wanted OR they didn't fit what I wanted OR the number of safe-sex only guys I get when I do believe my profile says HIV+ and bareback only - especially bottoms. It is quite funny.

    I like that you are a "falling between the cracks" kind of guy, because it gives me the space and peace to be that too. I don't have to put on anything - metaphorically or literally. And unlike those other guys, you are exactly what you claim to be. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Writer, that would be because you have a pretty picture there, and the guys see it and race to respond without, you know, actually reading anything you've written. Idiots.

    Thank you for the compliment. I like having someone who can really vouch for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you DO have an inner bitch. You go, boy! ;) PS: You're right, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  16. RUJ, I think I came across a little crabbier than I intended, but yes. Indeed I do. (And indeed I am. Right, that is!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I get that all the time, too...I think it's about that switch in so many men's brains--that once they see a big cock they can't think about anything else...much less read something as mundane as a profile...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm sorry, FelchingPisser, did you say something? I was looking at your big dick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll just "make you listen" the next time we meet.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. FelchingPisser, I can wholeheartedly say 'Yessir!' to that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dude, you are hot and need to make no apologies for being hot. But very well said in your post. I would do you in a heart beat or vise versa.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Brown Dawg--Thanks dude! I'm not really making apologies (to my audience, anyway) or fishing for compliments, but I surely am flattered at the ones you gave me. I'd be up for that anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. From the other side of the world, I just wanted to give you one helluva big cum sloppy THANK YOU!

    It was a seriously brill post and just shows what a real man you are and that is such a fucking turn on! WOOF! Your posts seriously rock my world and definitely make 'bating so much more intense.

    Cheers stud!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Equator--sounds like even on the other side of the world, it's the same, eh?

    I'm glad to add to your pleasure. Thanks for speaking up. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  25. At age 55, I can guarantee you that in a room of 100 gay men, of those who would even notice me, the great majority would say that I am "not his type". Many gay men will forgive most anything, except AGE. Older gay men are probably on more "NO" lists than terrorists trying to fly out of Israel.

    The truth is, that were I to concern myself with the likes of the "not my type" I would become that which I am to them--invisible.

    How many years ago was it that I heard the term "negative energy" and about the way it just oozes out of some people. That's not me, and it's not the people in my life. And all these "don'ts" and "must not's" and "must be's" are simply negative energy.

    Different guys wear their age, body type, height and weight differently. I am very turned on by that lean body of say Jessy Karson. Yet I am equally turned on by "Jim" a fuck buddy, about my age, thick necked, big guy--muscled from hard labor. Jim and Jessy are totally different in their appearance, and were I to have set up a "must be" list with Jessy in mind, I'd have missed some damn good DNA swappin'.

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Roswelltop,

    I've always been amazed at how age becomes the great divider among gay men. I'd always been receptive to meeting and sleeping with older guys in my youth, so it was kind of a surprise when, at the age of 30, I started becoming invisible to anyone in their twenties. And the number of people who lie about their age in an online profile, or upon meeting someone else, astounds me.

    I get turned on by a lot of different kind of men. I think my sex life is happier, and richer, as a result. Yours is too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy to read your blog! definitely one of the best i've seen on here! hope mine can be as good, one day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, Sac-religion. I really appreciate the compliment. From what I see, you should keep making those entries. It's already interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had to use this post today! Thanks stud!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What'd you use it for, bastien?

    ReplyDelete
  31. a guy on manhunt did that lovely thing where he just unlocks his pictures without saying anything. I was interested until i read in his profile that he wasn't interested in black, asian, or hispanic guys. Being a half black guy that most people just think of as black i was kinda miffed. I wanted to see how you handled it while crafting my carefully worded no-thank-you response.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bastien,

    On behalf of those of us who haven't cultivated any racial hangups, I apologize.

    I am not sure I understand the unlock-without-comment thing. I am always polite and respond with a 'Thanks for unlocking your pics!' message, but would it hurt to say, "Hey, you look good, whaddaya think?" Of course, all my Manhunt photos are unlocked because I don't have any issues with showing both my dick and face on the same profile, so what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm fascinated with how guys approach online sex. Listing a preferred type doesn't particularly bother me. You like what you like. And while I may occasionally be intimidated by guys who fit a type that I am not -- the types of guys who often seem to look for others of the same "type" (zero percent bodyfat muscle dudes, youthful hipsters, etc) -- if they seem interested and I'm interested, I'll go for it. 

    What turns me off (and I think this is at least in part you're talking about) are guys who employ excessively negative or even downright aggressive language in their profiles. Phrases like "don't bother" and "UB2" send up a red flag suggesting that I might have more fun stretching out on the sofa with a pint of Ben & Jerry's and the latest offering from Netflix. To get me in the sack, they'd be far better off saying "the world is a beautiful place and so is my ass." LOL! In fact, maybe I'll use that the next time I update my various profiles.. ;-)

    Tasty food for thought, Señor Breeder. Muchas muchas...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I feel I'm one of those in-between guys: while bear411 accepted me (I didn't realize they refused guys!), I'm on other sites as well. And all have varying numbers of the negative filter guys. I read profiles, not just look at pics! Really. So, I don't respond to those that say I'm not a fit. If they seem not to filter me, and I'm interested, I'll send a general greeting. Astounding the number of those that get no response. Even a simple "no, thanks, I forgot to pre-filter you" would be honest and something more than the apparent abyss my message was sent to.
    And I've noticed that I do generally get some type of response from others who seem to be outside the boxes. Good guys all.
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete