Thursday, June 3, 2010

My First Stalker: Part Two

(Continued from yesterday.)

There was a moment, after I saw my stalker on the bus, that I could have stepped backwards and waved the bus away. I would have lost my sixty-five cents in fare, but I could have thwarted any satisfaction he might have taken in trapping me. After I heard the clunk-clunk-clunk of my change in the box and saw my pursuer sitting in that first seat perpendicular to the driver, hand on the pole, staring at me as if he was the hungry wolf and I was Little Red Riding Hood, it struck me how naïve I’d been. I thought I’d been careful to keep track of who was following me. I had assumed my stalker had never followed me home. Yet he obviously knew where I boarded the city bus on weekday mornings, and at what time. He’d made the effort to travel from wherever he lived to a spot further north, so he could be sitting on the very bus I always took in the mornings, when I’d boarded.

How was I to know, careful as I thought I’d been, that he hadn’t followed me further? That he didn’t know in which house I lived, or where I biked in my spare time, or the people I visited when I wasn’t in school? In the previous couple of weeks when he had trailed me around the city at a distance, my awareness of his easy, muscular athleticism and of the way he stared at me from under those heavy lids had made my insides crazy-sexy-confused. Now for the first time I felt genuinely frightened.

All those thoughts flashed through my brain in one indefinable instant—and then the bus doors closed.

I was aware of how his head turned when I walked further back the bus. I sat down, and stared out the window, my brain performing all kinds of life-saving calculations—like which one of the people sitting around me might help me if he attacked me right then and there, or what my chances were of sneaking out the back door at the last minute at some other stop, just so I could evade him. The bus only took me to Richmond's Broad Street; I had to transfer in order to head west to the university. He stepped out of the bus’ front exit as I left through the rear. The westbound bus roared up to the stop almost immediately.

Here’s where I made my big mistake. I boarded the second bus ahead of him. I ought to have hung back and let him get on, so then I could have chosen a seat anywhere but in his vicinity. Instead, in my panic to get away, I floundered forward and picked a seat toward the front—the first forward-facing seat available.

And my stalker sat right across the aisle in the sideways-facing seat, his body turned to mine, one of his enormous sneakered feet propped on the vinyl of the seat next to mine. He was close enough that my bare knee was almost touching the faded denim of his own. Up close, I could appreciate how long were his legs and see the damp clusters of armpit hairs poking out from under his sleeveless t-shirt. For the first time I could smell his aroma of soap from under his arms, and of sweat rising from between his corn rows. He was displaying himself to me so that it was difficult not to look. It was hard not to stare at the downy moustache he was growing, and even impossible not to observe the bulge hanging down one leg of his jeans.

It lay there, meaty and enormous, mostly hard, and bigger than any  other bulge I'd ever seen before. Our proximity was making him erect; its outline enlarged as the bus trundled down Broad, stopping every few blocks to admit and discharge more passengers, causing the tucks and folds of the denim to stretch as it lengthened and grew.

It wasn’t fight-or-flight that I felt as I shot darting looks between his legs, but a jittery, stomach-churning version of flight-or-roll-over-and-let-this-stalker-have-his-way-with-me. Mostly, flight was winning. But not entirely.

My stop was approaching. Without warning my stalker reached up and tugged at the cord a stop before mine. The bell at the front of the bus sounded with a chime. The driver began to steer toward the curb as the bus’s brakes squealed. When my stalker stood up, he gripped the rail above his head with both hands. Ropes of dark brown muscle flexed down his arms as he kept his balance. His eyes never left my face.

“You know what?” he said to me as if we’d been carrying on a conversation the entire time. In all the weeks he’d been trailing me, I’d never heard him speak a word. Although now he was trying to sound tough, I was surprised that his voice emerged as a gentle tenor. “You got attitude.”

It was like he’d slapped me across the face. I just looked up at him blankly. “I got something for you,” he continued as the front doors open. He pulled a square of paper from the back pocket of his jeans as he took a step down. It was an envelope. “This is for your attitude. For your attitude.” With his right hand he flung the paper at me like a Frisbee; it twirled at me and struck me in the chest, one of the sharp corners piercing my skin hard enough to bring an instinctive tear to my eye. The envelope fell into my lap. Feeling numb, I slid it into my Jerusalem Bible and blinked until I could see again.

The students in the Bible as Literature class were mostly sophomores and juniors looking for a quick religion credit during the summer; no one really paid attention to the three high school kids who sat scattered around the room. It wasn’t until I got to the classroom and sat down in the middle of all the chattering college kids that I dared to remove the envelope from inside my Bible. One of the corners was bent from where it had hit me, but the envelope itself was new and crisp and sealed. I turned it over to its front, where in blue pen and cramped handwriting, it read:

Rob B.

My first reaction was fear. He knew my name? How? He’d never seen anyone talk to me or address me. How did he know?

All during the first half of the lecture I paid no attention. I loved that seminar with a passion and participated in it more than I later would in any of my college classes, but that morning I just sat there, hands down, head down, unable to think or move or do anything but wonder what was inside that envelope. The ninety minutes until break felt like days, but finally when the professor gave us a five minute break, I sprang down the hallway to the men’s room, shut myself into one of the stalls, and allowed myself to open the envelope that had been given to me for my attitude. Enclosed by the privacy of steel partitions, I pulled out a blue card that on the front simply said: An Invitation.

I opened it up and saw that my stalker had bought from a Hallmark store a standard, plain party invitation. The blanks he’d filled in with his own words.

WHO: You and me??

WHAT: ??

WHEN: ??






Underneath was a note in the same cramped handwriting.


Dear Rob:
I knew from the first time I saw you that you were so beautiful I had to have you. I know that you don’t know me or nothing but I want to tell you that I would never hurt you, I only want to make you feel good and I can make you feel so good you’d only want more. I would pay as many dollars as you wanted even just to talk to you, we don’t have to have sex but you are all I think about and I would pay for any time I can spend with you, just name the amount and you can have it. It’s not just about the sex even though I could fuck your white ass better than anyone have fucked you before, but even if you just want to talk that’s cool too. I will never bother you again but please think about it and if you want to talk and meet please call me at 342-0000. Marvin


I read and re-read the note over and over again, unable to believe it. Marvin’s tone had been so hostile on the bus, but his letter was . . . well, it was unlike anything I’d ever read. I was barely able to stuff my erection back into my shorts so I could get back to class.

Through that day I reread the note over and over again, smudging its white edges with my grimy fingerprints. Half of me feared that after class I’d find Marvin following me, demanding an immediate answer.

He didn’t appear, though. After the day I encountered him on that bus, I never saw him. Not once.

What strange days those were. Over and over again I read the note whenever I was alone, usually while I masturbated furiously and explosively. Sometimes I felt as if I’d dodged a bullet, other times dwelling on the fantasy of surrendering my body to Marvin. I felt flattered by his compliments, and turned on by his desperate need. Sometimes I would rub my dick while gazing at the invitation where it lay on a pillow next to my head, imagining what he’d been doing as he wrote it, wondering where he was right then. I wondered if he thought of me.

It’s a tough battle for a teen boy—the promise and allure of hot, nasty sex and ego-feeding praise versus the rewards of sheer prudence. I might have had parents who wanted to instill the latter in me, but the former nearly always won out.

After two weeks, I decided to call. I waited until my parents were teaching one evening. In the kitchen I traced out Marvin’s number on our ancient rotary phone; the amount of time it took for the dial to chug back to its resting place made the entire ordeal seem almost torturous. Finally I heard the sound of a ring on the other end of the line. Two rings. Three rings. Five was enough. I could hang up after five, right?

Someone answered on the fourth ring. Over the clamor of children laughing and screaming, the sounds of running water, and the noise of a television set in the background, an older woman raised her voice. In my imagination, I decided instantly she was his mother. “Hello?” Her voice sounded dampened, like my own mom’s when she talked on the phone with a cigarette hanging from her mouth.

“Is Marvin there?” It took all the courage in the world just to say those three words.

I had to hold the receiver away from my ear as I hear the woman drop her phone so that it bounced several times before coming to a rest. “Marvin!” she called. “Get your ass down here! There’s some white girl on the telephone for you.”

I hung up.

Marvin was true to his word. The last glimpse I ever had of him was on that city bus, arms over his head and armpits laced with perspiration, cock hanging down the right side of his pants, his soft voice telling me I had an attitude. He never again appeared in the music room of the library. I never glimpsed him over my shoulder as I walked from site to site around the city. Summer school came to an end in late July, I graduated the following year ahead of schedule, and I moved on to other stalkers, mostly of the ex-boyfriend variety.

I still have Marvin’s note after all these years, though. Despite the erotic sentiments contained within, I’ve always been impressed by how formal the invitation is, with all its blanks neatly filled, and by how Marvin wanted to leave everything up to me, including whether or not we ever met. He might have accused me of having attitude, but of the many stalkers I’ve had over the years, he certainly was the most thoughtful.

I do sometimes wonder, though, if he ever puzzled over who the white girl on the telephone might have been, or for how long he hoped I would call before he decided that I never would. Every time I run across that small blue invitation among my belongings, I wonder if he ever went out of his way to sneak another look at me, or to follow me around the VCU campus just for old times’ sake. I even wonder sometimes what he’s like, now that he’d be solidly into his fifties.

It’s one of those stories for which I’ll never have an ending, though. One of too many.

21 comments:

  1. WOW. That was an amazing story, so many twist and turns, I didn't know where it was going next.

    Honestly I think I would have RAN off the bus when I saw him, but I am a big scaredy cat. Also, I assume that child molesters and kidnappings weren't as much in the news when you were that age as they were when I came along as a teenager.

    BTW... how many stalkers have you had "white girl?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,

    I've had a lot of stalkers, unfortunately. I think I put out a vibe that says 'Please harass and hound me.' This white girl's got it going on!

    However, I won't put up much of a fuss if you decide to take up the crusade and stalk me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stunned that you didn't fuck him. I'm not even into black dudes and I thought that was hot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fella,

    You know, if he'd just approached me in a park or restroom back then, I would've done him in a heartbeat. I did a lot of guys very much like him.

    It was the following and the stalking that made me hesitant. I'd never been so methodically tracked and studied before. It was both exciting and really unsettling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating, but scary, too. His stalking you was pretty creepy, but I guess he was OK if he gave you his home phone number.
    It's probably better that you hung up the phone.
    I wonder if he had seen you previously having sex in the woods or a tearoom. I guess you'll never know how he first knew about you.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a mystery, Bob. In a way I wish I'd been more forthright, either about getting him to stop following me right at the beginning, or following up on his note.

    Hindsight is 20/20, though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Needless to say, it's yet another great post. My heart certainly raced at all the suspenseful moments. Though pop psychology emphasizes the need for closure, there are some stories in our lives that are better left without an ending. For whatever it's worth, my vote is that this story is one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rawhide,

    I'm always happy to make your heart race. Thanks so much for your compliment.

    I think I agree with you on this one. Closure would be nice, but there's a certain melancholy to some stories that don't have it; they can be perfect the way they are, like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (1) "You got attitude" (2) Jerusalem Bible (3) Corn Rows - a list of the three apparently completely normal things that were, perhaps inadvertently, hilarious. I guess they're all preposterous in their own ways. I probably glazed over the description yesterday but I had no idea he was black until you mentioned his brown musculature, and I had this old white creeper in my head with a fishing hat on, and all of a sudden, the fishing hat was gone, and in its stead were CORN ROWS. Haha, that's a fantastic image.

    We also need a pic of this note - it sounds like something a 7-year-old girl would give to a friend to invite him/her over for tea and dolls. They're going to play with the dolls, not eat them. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  10. J.,

    You know, I am so mad. I went searching for the note last night so I could take a photo of it. The text inside I'd transcribed in my journal and had sent in a couple of emails to people a few times, so that was no issue. But I couldn't find the actual note so I could take a photo.

    I know I still have it. It just wasn't in the place where I thought. Eventually my creaky brain will get around to it.

    My favorite absurd part of the story was being called 'some white girl.' My voice wasn't THAT high.

    ReplyDelete
  11. another champion post!

    please put all your stories together in a book; i'm sure it'll be a success.

    by the way, i'll call myself "anonymous tony" since you gave me that name in the previous post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous Tony,

    You're too kind. You've got to wonder who would buy that book, though, aside from dirty old men wearing nothing but their trench coats.

    Yup. That about describes me to a T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been reading for a bit now since theSword linked your blog awhile back. It's always neat to read someones life from their own eyes, how they feel about situations and their reactions.

    The story was great and I imagine that thinking of it years later without the closure has only intensified the feelings and made it that much more exciting.

    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." -Spock

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, another great post, so suspenseful and so sexy. I think I'm suffering from a new syndrome: stalker envy. And I laughed out loud when Marvin's mother called you "some white girl."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reztheweak,

    I just knew somehow you played a priest in WoW.

    Thanks for reading and responding--I'm hugely grateful for both. I liked both your insight and your quote. It's very true that the having of a thing is often more disappointing than the yearning for it, even after so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mark,

    Thanks! If you would like some of my stalkers, I would be more than happy to send a couple your way. Come on. Don't be shy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't remember the last time I was so caught up in a story that I forgot I was reading. It's an odd feeling to jump back into my body like that. Very Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Melvin, you didn't know what to do or say beyond going out of your way to try to go all the way until that unlucky day when you failed to make hay.

    I can see a hot and hilarious little book coming out of this called "Letters to an Erstwhile Stalker."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Different Mark,

    That's a high compliment you paid me. Do not assume it went unnoticed or that I'm ungrateful for it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous,

    I may have had enough stalkers in my life to pluralize your suggested title and indeed make a book out of it. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is such a time warp reading these older posts and not knowing what's been written in intervening years! Has your book been published??!! :)
    Did you find the invitation again? That was an unusual stalker, I think, delivering an invitation. Great 2 part story: ominous, suspenseful, steamy, dark, sexy and a white girl!
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete