Friday, October 1, 2010

Other People's Houses

I've been thinking about this memory a lot, lately, since my house has been on the market, and strangers have been tramping through it.

I thought it was unusual, the first time I met him, that he was waiting for me outside the house at the address he’d given me, leaning on his car. Even twelve years on I can remember how imposing a figure he was—broad-shouldered, thick-necked. He was a coarse and handsome man who sported the kind of club-like jaw with which you could smash oysters. A wedding band hugged his ring finger, but I'd expected that.

“Hey,” he said in a booming voice. “Glad to finally meetcha.” He grabbed my hand in one of those hearty hetero-looking handshakes and pumped it up and down like I was a pump on a prairie farm and he was desperate for the water.

He led me up the sidewalk, inserted the key in the front door, and fumbled with the locks. I thought he seemed unusually nervous. While I waited for him to let us in, I wondered what the inside of his house would look like. From the obvious expense of his shirt and tie and shoes, I was picturing tasteful furnishings. Expensive reproductions of antiques. Wood floors. Subdued lighting. I’d scarcely formed the picture when he finally popped open the door and let me in. The heady scent of potpourri assailed my nostrils as I stepped into the hallway. I’d been wrong about the décor. Nothing was antique or wooden about the place. The place was clean, but cluttered. The deep pile carpet was of a red hue that approached scarlet. The furniture consisted of mismatched tables and sofas clawed by generations of pets, alternated with cross-stitched samplers and little bouquets of dried flowers on the wall. It looked as if tornado had denuded a country kitsch store and regurgitated it all here.

“Um,” he said, looking from the dining room to the left to the living room at the right. “Let’s go this way.”

He led me through the dining room with its quaint variety of candles and pinecones and photographs framed cunningly with bark-lined sticks, and into the gingham-wallpapered kitchen. Neat rows of jams and jellies in squat little jars decorated with cloth lid-toppers and handmade labels had been spread across the window over the sink; a cross-stitched sampler saying Bless this mess hung among the pots and pans on the wall. He looked around, confused. “This way,” he said.

We passed through a small hallway past a bathroom that reeked of lavender, and back into a den where all the chairs had been pointed in the direction of a giant television screen. A flight of stairs in the house’s center led to the second floor. “Let’s go upstairs and get comfortable,” he said in a meaningful tone.

Our footsteps barely sounded as we climbed the carpeted steps. He looked wildly around at the summit, peeking first into what was obviously a child’s bedroom, and then a guest bedroom, and then finally into a large, dark blue room with a canopied bed that was the master suite. I assumed he was making sure none of his family was home. “Here we are,” he said with a leer. He immediately began unbuckling his belt, and then unzipped. “You like what you see?” he asked in a softer, more urgent tone. When I nodded, he took me by the shoulders and pushed me to my knees.

All I did was suck him, nursing on his dick until he grabbed my shoulders and pumped a salty load down my throat. Afterward, when I had rinsed my mouth in the sink and washed my hands and reclaimed my clothes, he followed me downstairs. “Let me walk you to your car,” he whispered in my ear. He opened the front door. Still sheltered by the latticed screen, he gave me a deep kiss against the doorframe. “I hope we can do this again,” he growled. “You are one fuckin' good cocksucker.”

My attention, though, had shifted to the lockbox hanging from the front doorknob, something I’d overlooked on the way in. it was one of those types with a push-button code, and it hung ajar. “This isn’t even your house, is it?” I accused, suddenly more than a little freaked. No wonder he hadn’t been able to find his way around!

“Hey, hey,” he said, grabbing my hands to calm me down. “It’s okay. I’m a real estate agent.” When I didn’t reply, he kept on explaining. “I can’t do this shit at home!”

When we left, he fastened the front door and deposited the key back into its lockbox. “Act casual,” he instructed, turning us around and pointing up to the second floor, as if drawing my attention to a feature up there. “Just in case the neighbors are watching.”

I got in my car and drove home, angry and guilty. Never again, I swore. Never again. He sent me email that night. Sorry if I misled you, it said. But I’d like to have more of that sweet mouth sometime.

After that, I felt angry and guilty and aroused.

For three months I met him in other people’s houses. At my request, most of them were deserted and unfurnished. We’d fuck on the carpets, surrounded by the impressions of where furniture used to be, illuminated by the dusk filtering through dusty Venetian blinds. We’d roll and tumble and hear our grunts and shouts echo in the emptiness of the rooms, and then we’d make a circuit around the back of the house and out the front again, as if checking out the yards before parting. It seemed a victimless crime, pure and simple, without much risk. It was sleazy and sordid and kind of exciting.

Very occasionally—maybe three times—we would have to meet in a still-occupied home. He wanted to have sex on top of the beds there, but I couldn’t. I didn’t want to touch anything that belonged to anyone. It made me uncomfortable.

The affair peaked the day we arrived at a house before the couple living there had managed to leave. They were still racing around, trying to collect the dog and escape before we arrived, when he and I reached the door. “We’re just getting out of your way,” said the young woman.

“How long are you going to be, about?” said the young man. They seemed like a nice pair, probably married out of college. She was clearly expecting. Even the black lab seemed amiable.

“Oh, I don’t know. A half hour?” said my real estate agent.

“We’ll be gone an hour, in case,” said the wife. She smiled at me, having obviously assessed me as a fine and upstanding candidate for the suburban neighborhood.

They left the door open for us. We entered the house. To my ears it felt as if it was still ringing with the sound of their hurried voices. “So where do you want to do it?” he asked. I sat down on the stairs and shook my head. “What?” he asked. He looked out the front window. “They’re almost gone. They’re loading up the dog.”

“I can't,” I said. He tried cajoling me back into a good mood, but it was gone forever. “We're done.”

I rose to my feet and made for the door. He tried catching my wrist. “They’re not even gone yet. They’re going to think it’s weird if you leave so soon.”

I didn’t care, though. I opened the door again, but he grabbed my wrist. “How about later this week?” he insisted.

Shaking my head, I yanked my arm from his grasp, turned away from him for the last time, and sprinted to my car. The couple had just slammed the back of their van shut, and looked at me in surprise. I spared a wry smile for them, hopped into my car, and slammed shut the door. Through the crack in the window, I could hear my real estate agent approaching the couple. “Sorry for the trouble, folks,” he said. “He’s really looking more for something with a garage.”

The sound of my ignition drowned out their chorus of understanding. Though the three of them waved at me as I drove off, I didn’t return the gesture.

12 comments:

  1. I was invited to a "businessmans' lunch" once by a realtor in a house for sale, still furnished and occupied by the family (but at work and school during the day). The realtor had planned for 6 or 7 guys to take an hour and fuck like mad...which would have been great except for the location. The thought makes my skin crawl.

    Now, the contractor who blew me and then bent over for me in the house he was building...? That's a different, hot story.

    Thanks for all your writing -- I don't comment on things often, but I love reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AC,

    Thank you for the comment!

    I wouldn't have been comfortable with the businessman's lunch either. And can you imagine if the house had a nannycam or something similar?

    To me there's something different between having sex in an unoccupied house or a house under construction (I've done that one too) and having it with a stranger in a house that's being lived in. If the stranger is one of the house's owners, sure. If it's a realtor, that's just creepy. I need to be invited in by a current occupant before I'll cross the threshold. (I sound like some kind of sexual vampire.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My only experience with a realestate agent was a time when I was working several jobs to keep the rent and bills up...landlord had the ominous "FOR SALE" sign posted on the front lawn while I was away at work...never contacted me once to inform me of what was going on...eventually the landlord asked me to leave (move out). The real estate agent was an older lady UGLY old bitch with an attitude to match.. Many years after that I bought a small house just a block from the rental apartment where I was living...it was "For Sale By Owner" no real estate agent. And I was so happy to have it...and I still am 10 years down the road to forever in this little house..but it's MY house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about the unoccupied house/occupied house distinction. And, ah, if you vant to suck...consider yourself invited!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous,

    Fucking in your own house is a lot better than fucking in a rental, somehow. At least, that's what I found when I got into the first home I owned. I tried to do it in every room but the fruit cellar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that would be kinda creepy, but probably thrilling the first time. Although I actually have dreams of snooping through houses. Unoccupied places are another story...the maintenance guy painting an apartment between tenants...being shown an apartment, which was still occupied by all appearances by a 20 something who when home spent most of his time playing xbox and whacking off...can I see the laundry room...hehehe.

    Seph

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post was quite interesting for me as the "for sale" sign just went up in our yard yesterday. As we signed the paperwork at our kitchen table, I could not help but wonder how many encounters the incredibly smoking hot lady who is our agent had engaged in under the guise of showing a house. Probably none, but one wonders.

    Of course, I'm now going to find myself looking for random cum stains dotted across our new carpet each time a potential buyer and their agent visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seph,

    Creepy doesn't stop some people, does it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. JFBreak,

    Yeah, it's been interesting since my house went up for sale, and I've been extra-paranoid about exactly who has been in my home and who hasn't. Maybe I should leave out extra towels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I'm wondering if the one real estate agent I've ever played with (in the shower of the country rec center, as well as in my own bed) ever did that. Wouldn't put it past him.

    --MassBear

    ReplyDelete
  11. MassBear,

    I wouldn't put anything past a horny man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen ads by a realtor for bj's in homes for sale. It seemed hot, but I had never taken up the offer. A bj is one thing, but fucking around in a still occupied home, yep, creepy. Unoccupied, fine. Just seems a violation of someone else's privacy (who is not there to agree to it).
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete