Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Two Angels

Writing my 'Dumb Fuck' entry yesterday reminded me of another encounter involving tattoos, several years ago.

---

I first noticed the tattoo when he pulled the hospital scrubs top over his head. Against his brown, tanned skin it was a deep hue of indigo. Then Doug’s head appeared from under the tangled garment, grinning at me. I let my eyes linger over his sweet face, his dark and liquid eyes. They trailed down to nipples dark as chocolate and to his flat stomach lined with a trail of fur that disappeared beneath the scrubs bottoms, right where the white skin of his tan line began.

“What?” he asked from curiosity, watching me gaze at him.

I shook my head. “You’re just so beautiful to look at, that’s all.”

That made him smile even more broadly. “Let me show what I think of you,” he suggested. He’s a small person, a compact man who barely comes up to my chest when we’re standing, but when he straddled me and pushed me back into the pillows, I scarcely noticed his size.

It wasn’t until an hour later, naked and dozy and smelling of each other, that I noticed it again. Our faces were close together as we talked. “What’s the tattoo of?” I asked. I traced it with my fingers. At the top, the design blossomed into something like—well, I couldn’t quite tell. It was like a flower, abstract and unlike any bloom I’d seen. It was like water, or a fountain. It was something like a person as well. Two lines, like a scythe, trailed away from the design into the blanket against his skin.

“It’s angels,” he said. “It’s the logo from the cover of Jesus Christ. . . .”


“. . . Superstar,” I said with him. I recognized it now. He turned on his side so that I could see it all. What I thought was a scythe was the circle connecting the two angels. I kissed the tattoo as I pulled him close. My cock pressed against the small of his back. “I see it now.” We lay there for a moment more. He trembled and made small murmurs of pleasure where I touched him, parting his legs to let my hands wander to shivery spots. “Does your partner know you’re here?” I asked in his ear.

“Gary knows I’m here,” said Doug. “I mean, he doesn’t know the exact address, but he knows I’m with you, yes.” His skin burst into gooseflesh where I moved my hands.

After a moment, I made an attempt at apology. “I hope that question wasn’t too intrusive. About Gary knowing where you were.”

“No, no, not at all! You can ask me anything. I trust you.”

I smiled at that. “All right. So why Jesus Christ Superstar?” I asked.

He flipped over on his back again and smiled, his dark brown eyes two slits in the twilight. “You want to hear the Jesus Christ Superstar story?” he asked. I nodded. I expected it to be a simple explanation—he’s been in a community theatre production of the musical, or he’d really rocked out to it as a kid when it had been released. “Okay,” he finally said. “I’ve been with Gary for eight years, but before that, I had another lover named Michael. We were together for ten years and he made me very happy. Then he died. Of AIDS.”

My head was propped up on my hand as I stared down at him. He looked at me quickly to see how I took that information. What did he expect? Revulsion? Fear? I just nodded. My hand didn’t stop moving across his chest. “I was taking care of him as best I could, but of course it wasn’t enough. There was a moment right before the end—one of his rare lucid moments, I should say—when Michael held my hand and looked at me and said, I don’t know how I’m going to recognize you down here on earth once I’ve changed. He said it like that. Once I’ve changed. He said, How am I going to find you down here? He was really frightened.

“And I told him, You’ll recognize me because I’ll have an angel on my shoulder. He was really weak. I could barely hear him when he said, But lots of people have angels on their shoulders. And I squeezed his hand and said, Then I’ll have two. My own personal angel. And you, watching me.

“That was the last thing I was able to tell him that I know for certain he heard.” A tear spilled from his right eye, making a getaway for the pillow. Doug reached up and arrested it with a finger, wiped away its traces, and grinned at me in an embarrassed way. “After the funeral I went out and got this tattoo, so he could recognize me.”

I let him sink into the safety of my arms as my nose nestled against his ear. The open window let in the sounds of late summer—the splash and play of trickling water from the garden, the sounds of the neighbor kids at play, the huzz of locusts merging with the sound of a far-away lawnmower. In the distance, a mother yelled out to remind her son it was a school night. We lay there and listened to them. “Thank you,” I whispered to him.

“No, thank you!” he said. He sniffled in deeply, trying to clear his nose, but his tone was much stronger and confident. “It’s just funny. It’s been nine years and you know, it really doesn’t feel that long at all.”

“I’ve always felt that my losses and griefs are like—” I searched for a metaphor. “They’re like one of those hobo bags, you know, like they used to carry in the Peanuts comics? A bag on the end of a stick that you carry over your shoulder?” He nodded. My words sounded soft in the gathering darkness. “I feel like I pack up all the good things and the bad stuff about a person when they’re gone, so I can carry everything around and remember them all by it. It’s like, it gets heavier with every loss, the older I get. And even though I always seem to have the strength—so far—to pick it up and carry it with me wherever I go every day, there’s always the question in the back of my mind of when I’ll find it too heavy to bear. You know?”

“Yeah,” Doug said. “I know. It’s a burden, but I wouldn’t give it up. I’m supposed to carry it, right? It just helps to remind me that there’s a lot of love in the world. Do you believe that? That there’s a lot of love in the world?” I nodded. Yes, I did. “I’ve got this thing. I think love should be shared. Not just with one person, but with as many people as you can love.”

I nodded again. Uncertain that he could see me in the shadows of the bedroom, I cleared my throat. “Yes,” I said, my voice husky and choked.

He laughed slightly, no more than a burble in his chest. “I hope I didn’t freak you out.”

“No,” I said, closing my eyes and enjoying the warmth of his body. “You didn’t freak me out.”

26 comments:

  1. You know, I usually come to your blog expecting to read about some great sexual adventure. And I'm seldom disappointed. But this entry here is in a whole different category. It's extremely beautiful, caring, well-written and hear-warming. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob- you know how much I value your tender pieces like this one, and your showing such caring for this man is so life affirming. You have an ability to be compassionate because you have been carrying around your own large hobo bag a long time and have a deep sense of how we are all shaped by loss and sorrow as well as by love and joy. You are such a fine giver. Thanks for giving us this moment

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to just sit, with my eyes closed, after reading today's entry. To be able to absorb it. You write with such eloquence, its like a movie. I can see the scene with you and Doug playing out. I can also see the scene with Doug and Michael. Ah, hell, I dont know what I'm trying to say except that this entry touched me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I Don't Know How To Love Him" will be playing in my head all day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a really stunningly beautiful & compassionate entry (and I hear ya about the hobo bag - what a perfect way to describe those memories, those feelings). Like others have said, thank you for sharing this-- even if I never got naked with you, this makes me just want to meet you & hear more of your stories.

    --MassBear

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm speechless. I'm sitting here alone, just crying at this amazingly beautiful story.
    the gamut of emotion raging from sadness to joy via jealousy and downright excitement that I get from your blog are too much. Stories like this are why I can't visit your blog regularly...

    You're blessed with many talents, and I think everyone that reads you or meets you is a changed person because of it.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael B.,

    I'm glad you enjoyed this change from the usual routine. Thank you so much.

    (Wait a minute. When you say you're 'seldom disappointed,' does that mean somethings you are? The hell!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jayson,

    You're always very kind to me with your compliments. I think you're more of a giver than I. Thanks for the faith in me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tiggybubba,

    You're sweet. Thank you so much.

    Open your eyes before you go driving anywhere, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Throb,

    Hey, sannah, ho, sannah, sannah, sannah, ho. Sannah hey! Sanna! Ho! Sannah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Outsidehimself,

    Thank you for saying so. I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous,

    I always want to answer that with, "I KNOW, RIGHT?", but I think I'll stick to a simple, "Thank you."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Massbear,

    What do you mean, if we never got naked? What're you trying to tell me?!

    Thank you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw, Guy,

    Wipe those eyes, weepy. It has a good ending! I'm glad to have touched you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful. I read it on my way to work, sitting stuck in traffic. Thanks so much for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My first comment on here. I come to read about the sex but the other stories just stop me in my tracks.

    Like this one today, you see, my partner of 30 years had a quadruple bypass yesterday and I'm sitting here realising how lucky I am that he is still alive and with me and I don't need to consider thinking about loosing him for a while.

    Your story was perfect timing and made me realise that the angels are always around.

    You are a gifted writer Rob, you are very blessed, just as feel feel blessed today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, it dawns on me that I rarely come to your blog with expectations any more. Well, save one - that I will be fully engaged, and engrossed in your writing. Today, you brought a tear to my eye. Feels odd to say 'thank you' in light of that, but I do. Because of the beautiful and touching way you write, you take me outside of myself... and for that, a profound thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. FoxyBoxee,

    Your comment made me misty-eyed. I hope your partner came through with flying colors, and my best wishes for his continued health--and yours.

    Life's too short to ignore the angels who're there when we need them. I'm glad they were there for your partner.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Richard,

    The fewer expectations you have, the less I have to live up to! Thank you for your kind comments. You're a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Untitled,

    I'm sorry you were stuck in traffic, but I'm glad to have diverted you for a few moments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This one left me gobsmacked. Sheezus. (In a good way.)

    You've been through here before, and you know shit, deep down, that people don't usually learn for three lifetimes.

    And better yet, you "show, don't tell."

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lexchgo,

    It's not my story. I just retold it. Thank you very much, though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yes, and yes. Not your story, part true, part not. Doug and Michael's was not, but all the rest was. As was the sharing of it with us. Please thank Doug for me that he shared this with you and through you with us. You were able to transmit their story's beauty to us so clearly simply because you are that beautiful too.
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete