Saturday, May 15, 2010

Filthy (Thank You, The Sword!)

Filthy. That’s me.

I’ve known it for years, of course. But now it’s official, seeing that The Sword has named me its Filthy Blog of the Month. Yes, thank you. Thank you for your applause. You may touch me. No, not there. Lower. Lower. That’s the spot.

Filthy Blog of the Month. I know my mother, god rest her soul, would have been proud. I can feel her heavenly spirit looking down upon me and saying, "That's my filthy son!"

The article itself is pretty complimentary. Who’s going to argue with, “writes about sex just about better than anybody”? Not I. My favorite line, however, is, “The most appealing thing about this Mr. Steed dude is his grizzly, no-bullshit attitude.” You don’t know how many years I’ve been waiting to be called grizzly. I’m going to own it, bay-bee. Grr.

The article touches on a topic that’s been bugging me a little the last few days—namely, the issue of realness. Of veracity, if you will. Though The Sword (correctly and graciously) assumes that I’m not a fictional construct, some of my readers don’t really seem to get that there is an actual person who writes these entries and whose life corresponds with them. I’ll get private emails asking, “Hey, how much of that blog you write is true?” Or a question or three on formspring.me saying, “Sigh. I know I’m not going to get a straight answer, but how much of your journal is real?” Or I’ll have a commenter saying on the entry about my Tuesday romp that it lacks the “stench of credibility.”

For one thing, if someone’s already decided that I’m a liar and they’re not going to get a straight answer from me, there’s not really a lot I’m going to be able to say that’s not going to elicit the sigh and the shrugged shoulders. I would actually be interested, if that was the case, why they’d even ask me the question. And for the other: virtually everything I write on my blog is honest and accurate.

A-ha! He said ‘virtually!’ It’s true that I have slightly—slightly—fictionalized some elements in my writing. To wit: I mostly have changed people’s names, when I post about them. It may surprise you, but the Silver Fox’s first name is not Silver, and he’s not related to Redd Foxx. If someone has a distinguishing characteristic that would instantly identify them to all and sundry in my geographical area, like a prominent tattoo of all four members of ABBA between their shoulder blades, I might alter it to a tattoo of Adam Lambert. On the guy’s butt. If Scruffy really works in a library as a children’s librarian (he doesn’t), I might change his job to that of a clerk in a video store, so that people won’t be accosting all the unshaven young men in the local children’s stacks with, Hey! Are you Scruffy?!

I’m not under the illusion that I have hundreds of fans actively stalking me in my area, mind you. But you understand what I’m saying. I try to observe a little discretion.

When it comes to details of my own life, I either graciously don’t comment on them, or I alter a very minor detail here or there to preserve the shreds of anonymity to which I can still cling. I think anyone who knows me, or who has met me, would agree that there’s extremely little dissonance between the persona I present in my journal, and my real-life self.

Here’s what I don’t fictionalize, or fib about, or construct out of whole cloth: I don’t fabricate my encounters. I don’t create the people I have them with. The sex I write about isn’t fantasy. I actually have it, or if I’m writing about my past, have had it. As I’ve said a few times now, I have a whole career in which I make shit up. I spent hours a work day dreaming up conceits and bringing them to life. It’s not easy labor.

When I write in my journal, I don’t want to have to play make-believe. It’s a relief to be able to write about real stuff that’s happened to me. I draw the people I meet as deftly and fairly as I can. I resurrect the chains of events and the dialogue that took place from my memory . . . which is a pretty good memory for everything except birthdays and remembering to pay my bills . . . and I fashion a self-contained essay about it. Sometimes, as with 3 Loads, 35 Minutes, I’ll illustrate it with the photos I took as it happened. My photographs, from my camera. I think I do a great job of remaining true to what took place.

If one looks backs through the comments on entries, it’s possible to find a couple from people who actually know me in the flesh. I suppose the argument could be made that I might’ve created their profiles and blogs in order to sustain a grand illusion that I’m not a fake. But really? That sounds like an awful lot of work for a whole lot of nothing.

I’m getting this all out of my system because I want to be able to type it once. Then, in the future when someone questions my very existence, I can point them to a single URL. (Because really, I’m lazy that way.)

I write about sex because I think it’s something people do together that shows them at their best, their worst, and at various touching and humorous points in between. I write about the sex I have because I feel my perspective on human interaction is worth documenting. The encounters I write about are very real.

And so am I.

38 comments:

  1. congrats and don't u ever stop blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo well said...firsty congrats and well deserved for the folks who don't believe your journey you share with us just grain of salt them !! Shout out from Australia I'd let u plough my Aussie arse whenever u pleased matey !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO! congrats and well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over the past several months, I've routinely followed eight to ten blogs, including yours, which I happened upon thru your comments posted to another blog. I like the fact that you post regularly. I love your style of writing, the texture, the details, the feelings that your words evoke.

    Some of the blogs I follow are like "NSA sex"--jump right into the fuck, get off and bolt out the door. I've noted though that these blogs tend to have very few comments from readers, and many of the bloggers only post sporadically, with long intervals of nothing.

    I don't really read your blog to "get off", but many times I do. Reading your experiences has resulted in my opening doors to memories and experiences long forgotten or buried. None have been more touching, nor more painful, than your entries about your relationship with your parents. My father was never the parent that yours has been. To this day, I carry a sadness and a void that has never been filled.

    Why then do I continue to read? Because the things that you write about are things that brew inside of me, and which I really have never discussed with anyone. I've never doubted that you are real, nor the truth of your words. But even if I did, my own experiences as a result of your writing would be no less significant.

    Thanks for the effort that you put into this blog and the heart that you share. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose it was inevitable....after all there IS a lot of fiction online (all those 8 inch cocks on every hook up site, for instance). For what it's worth: I know you. I know a large portion of the men you write about. I have had sex with most of them--after all we play in the same (cess)pool. You wrote up our last meeting exactly as you saw it.

    I think most of your readers recognize it as the truth for several reasons: from the great detail in the writing; from the love that shines thru for your family; from your genuine caring about the people you touch--physically or emotionally through the blog. So, Congratulations. You deserve the mention in The Sword...

    Now if I can just wangle an invite to the filming of you and Scruffy….

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I knew you could do it!

    So...tell me again...how much of this stuff is real? LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stumbled on your site about a month ago - and instantly hooked. Great writing and NEVER a doubt on my part that the events happened and that I was getting a first person account.

    Love your words, style, and my mental model of you (and the pics/vids REALLY help).

    Kirk in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous I and II: Thanks guys! And don't worry, I have no plans to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Evan,

    Thanks, my friend. But um, don't you have a bed to be in? And a cute little boyfriend visiting?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roswell Top--

    Your reply made me tear up, guy. Thank you. Your compliments are generous and sweet.

    I think you know you can reach out to me if you've ever got something brewing that you need to talk about with someone.

    Coincidentally, those tracks you sent me were among those I was listening to when I pounded this entry out, very early this morning. Thank you again for those, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could easily write about some of my real-life experiences and have people think I am making shit up. Think about it, you who doubt: have your lives been so dull thus far that you have no experiences that are no doubt true, which others would think you plainly made up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. FelchingPisser,

    Yeah, what's up with all those 8-inch cocks? Drives me crazy. Of course, when people have such diminished expectations of 8 inches, it makes cocks like mine--or more especially yours--look even bigger.

    Thanks for your cheerful testimonial. I think the blog entry everyone's waiting for me to write is the one where you get inside me.

    You are a true friend. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writer,

    And Writer remembered how the Breeder had said unto him, 'Before the cock comes twice, you will deny me three times.'

    Meanie. Why, I oughta.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kirk,

    Atlanta has all my best fans. Maybe it's because they can sense half my family came from the city? Thanks for reading, guy, and please keep coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous III,

    Sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. Some aspects of my life are strange, admittedly. The everyday fucking, not so much. It's my hobby. I make time for my hobby!

    Thanks for the defense, guy. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A very big, hearty, congrats to you for the award recognition. We are now hoping a Pulitzer Prize committee joins you as a follower and, swept away, pushes international recognition. You continue to be real, compelling, and accessible to all of us so, award or not, Kudos. You know I am a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations, this is so well deserved. I'm with Roswell Top - that while reading your stuff is definitely a turn-on, it also makes me think and feel and ponder. Your stories are always, foremost, about human beings interacting - not just about body parts interacting. More than strictly "factual," your work always comes across as truly honest - because you include the heart and emotions, even in the most apparently "smutty" piece. [Probably has to do with the wonderful size and power of your moral compass ;) ]. Again, congratulations and many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, congratulations on the "honor". I read your blog every day, and sometimes more than once in a 24 hour period to see if you've posted anything new. I always knew that your entries were true. You write with remarkable clarity and depth, which can only come from true experiences. The best writing is always born from one's life and from what one knows, and you know about great sex. As a top, I'm always fascinated by your experiences being inside other men. Keep blogging!
    -C

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jayson,

    Do they award a Pulitzer Prize for Purple Prose? Would you nominate me? I bet your letter would be awesome. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mark,

    I have this suspicion that you and Jayson are tag-teaming my ego, posting so close to each other. I always feel slightly unworthy of your praise, too. I think it's because I'm a fan of your writing. But thank you for the compliments again, and know that the sheer quantity of them doesn't diminish my fondness for yours. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous C,

    A thousand thanks for your fulsome praise. If you're another top, you should be tag-teaming with me! Come on up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't everything we read somewhat fictional in our minds unless we've experienced it ourselves? I still vote that the naysayers have issues with jealousy. (stepping off my soap box).

    I'm glad that the Sword recognized so much of what we, as your readers, have: great style, hot encounters, great words, great guy.

    For the record, I too am often jealous - but only of the fact that others have access to you, and I live too far away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Richard, thank you for being a fan. You know I'm your fan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wait. So. Are you married to a man... or a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats Stud!!!!!

    Felchingpisser? That sounds positively decadant!
    Do YOU have a blog?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dccised, out of curiosity, what difference would it make to you?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chris, thanks! And Felchingpisser is decadent. And hot as hell.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have several blogs in rotation and yours has quickly risen to the top. There has always been a sense of realness about you, and in your sharing of these stories you forge a bond with the reader.

    It's sort of like goldilocks and the three bowls of porridge. I find some bloggers to be pompous, some to be whiny, and some to be just right.

    You, my friend, are just right.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mark of the different sort,

    Once again you've succeeded in making me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Thank you so much. I'm going to go blush in a corner now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Chris---I don't have a blog....though I've thought about it as I certainly have some interesting stories to tell...Felchingpisser is the name I use on bbrt as it totally describes how I like to have sex...(though not to the exclusion of all sorts of other more main stream sexual activities.)

    @The Breeder---decadent? Me?? Now it’s my turn to blush….I always think of myself as pure and virginal...which is why I want your top ass on my rim seat! THEN I can start my own blog….

    ReplyDelete
  31. FelchingPisser,

    Yes, I think of you as pure and virginal. A pure and virginal innocent who travels with his own portable sling and rim seat.

    If you ever want to test the waters with a guest column, let me know.

    And back at Chris: FelchingPisser is the sexiest top in my state that I know. No lie.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on the recognition. What I really like is how much you love writing and always thank everyone who writes a note in your comment section...also love showing you me on cam...im whc1960

    ReplyDelete
  33. djc314,

    Here's my letter of thanks to you! I figure if someone goes to the trouble of writing a reply and navigating the multiple buttons necessary to submit it, then they deserve some attention back. Especially if they're nice guys like you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. A guest column?? I might just take you up on that...(a little intimidating to post with yours...but I love a challenge.) I certainly have had some “interesting” encounters. And I have some deep fetish work that would add a different perspective. One other thought struck me--I would love to share a boy with you--then have both of us write it up--a ‘compare and contrast’ of how we saw the encounter….

    And as for your comment about the sexiest top you know...wow, I can only say thanks, I‘m not sure I agree, but Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. FelchingPisser,

    Absolutely. Keep it in mind, anyway. I'd be up for the sharing challenge. That two perspectives thing would be a great literary exercise. And sexual exercise, of course.

    And you know I think you're hot. Don't make me praise you up the wazoo again.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been reading your archives starting from entry #1, and unlike most of the crap on the interwebs, I've never doubted the authenticity of your encounters or of who you are. Belated kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jake. At this point, enough people have met me/recognized me/slept with me knowing who I was that to doubt my authenticity would be a little bit like not believing Donald Trump was a real person.

      My hair's better than his, too.

      Delete
  37. I'm blushing, too...with shame! I admit when I first read one of your blog posts, a late-comer, I was entranced by the skilled writing and erotically stimulating story. "How could that be real?", I thought. I think I even made such a bumble-headed statement in my comment. I quickly learned through further reading, how wrong I was. And I was simply blown away. Still am.
    I'm going to petition the Nobel Committee to add you as a special honoree. I've seen you already have a tux, so the acceptance fol-de-rol should be a breeze.
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete