Monday, November 29, 2010

The Fuck-Up

I fucked it up.

Plain and simple, that’s what I did with Spencer.

It was that second night we spent together, toward the end of our time. I’d promised I would send him home at a reasonable hour so that he could get some sleep; he had a rehearsal the next day for which he needed to be nimble. We lay there, exhausted and pleasantly sweaty, our limbs knotted around each other. He played with the band of metal encircling my ring finger. “So tell me about this,” he said.

“What do you want to know?” I asked. I hadn’t hid my ring. I hadn’t stuck it in my pocket when we’d met, or left it on the bedside table so that there wouldn’t be any questions. When I’d taken him out to dinner earlier that night, I hadn’t kept my left hand beneath the table, or concealed it with my napkin.

“Where is she? Or is it a he? Out of town for the weekend?”

“Halfway across the country,” I said. “Indefinitely.” My heart was beating fast as I painted my situation in brief strokes.

“And you’re planning to move?” I nodded. “When?”

I explained that it could be two months from now, or six, or a year. I simply don’t know.

He continued to toy with my ring as we lay there in the silence. I felt I should say something to fix things. I didn’t know what, though. I’m usually good with words. On this night, they failed me utterly. I wanted to say, “But we can still have fun!”, but that sounded callow. I wanted to say that it didn’t matter, but it would have been a lie, and it would have denied his own feelings. It mattered.

“I’d better go,” he said at last. Together we dressed in silence, sorting out our belongings from the pile of clothing at the bed’s foot. It was worse than awkward. It felt as if I’d wounded him.

Downstairs, I sat next to him on the sofa as he pulled on his shoes, feeling like a knock-kneed, clumsy teenager desperate for approval. “I’d like to see you again, if you want to come back,” I said at last.

He sat with his hands between his legs, his limbs limp and askew. “Against my better judgment, I probably will,” was all he said. Then he sighed, gave me a quick hug, and left. I watched him drive off from the front window.

It felt like I’d been slapped. And worse, that I’d deserved it.

I screwed it up, I wrote to one of my better friends. I feel like such a damned fool.

There have been many times in my life when I’ve met someone for whom I have feelings. There’s always a sensation of inevitability when I run into these people. I know them right away. They make my heart race and grow soft. They are men for whom I’ll do anything to get to know. They’re men I’ve loved deeply. Over the years I’ve managed relationships with a few—they became lovers that still live in my heart, though our paths followed side-by-side for only a short time.

And when I think of these individuals now, sometimes it’s with a sense of sadness. There was the last man I loved, a poet with whom I exchanged verses and fluids, until he grew frightened and closed himself away. There was the man to whom I gave up my ass without effort, a decade ago, because he’d never before fucked and knew the right words to whisper into my ear to get me to show him—and I loved the nights we shared until he chose a vocation that involved a vow of celibacy. There was the timid boy I loved years ago who feared his family more than he loved himself, and who allowed himself to be trapped in a traditional marriage that drove him to an early death.

Then there are men I think of with nothing but fondness and a grin, like the clown from Australia who treated me like some kid of sidekick, or the everyday hero who celebrated my kinks as much as I appreciated his. There’s Scruffy, whom I love unabashedly.

Because this is my philosophy in life. We don’t get everything we want. We pick and choose the paths we trod. Sometimes we can choose the people with whom we travel. It’s up to us to relish the journey, any way we can. As sorrowful as parting from someone can be, especially when they’ve been close, the good times with someone for whom you care are too few and too beautiful to pass up. They’re the fruits plucked from orchards along the road, wonderful and full of zest and sweetness. I believe it’s far better to have those times together, those experiences, than it is to pass them by merely because of the potential for hurt later.

That’s what I feel, anyway. I know others aren’t the same. My friend wrote me back, saying, Your relationship and your move are pre-existing conditions, so technically you’re off the hook. He made sense. But I went to bed that night with a heavy head, and guilt in my heart.

Spencer agreed to come over the next night. It was his suggestion, actually. I was reluctant to put it forth, after I’d plainly let him down. While he was in the shower, I lay on my bed with my fingers intertwined, trying to think of what to say—because it was plain I needed to say something. Eventually he wandered in, completely dressed, damp, and padding for my side on bare feet. “Can we talk?” I asked.

He bit his lip and nodded. I could tell he was still thinking about the night before.

Once he’d finally laid his wet head on the pillow, I opened my mouth, and decided to be as plain and simple as possible. “First of all, I want to say I’m sorry,” I said. “I don’t make friends easily. Not real friends. I find those very rarely. When I do, I want to see more of them. I like you. I like you a lot. I’ve been very selfish about wanting to see more of you, and for that I apologize.”

“I think I’ve been selfish too, then,” he said in a subdued voice.

So far, so good. “Second, I’m sorry for the awkwardness last night. It’s a little tough for me to realize we’ve only known each other a couple of days. I do know this, though: I like you a lot. I feel highly protective of you. I would never, ever do anything to hurt you, or cause you distress. Believe me on that.” He nodded. “I really want to your friend, if nothing else.” It hurt to say those words, because I wanted to be so much more than a friend. But I forced them out. “I’ll be here for you however you can stand it, if you’ll have me.”

That was it. I’d laid my heart out on the table with the bare essentials. He took a moment to consider what I’d said. “I think I was weird last night because it hit me that this won’t be going anywhere.”

“Don’t say that,” I said, a little stung, but recognizing the truth of it. “Don’t ever say that. Does your art go anywhere?” He shook his head a little, not understanding. “You practice the most ephemeral of art forms. Your life goes into a performance that’s beautiful while it lasts, and then. . . .” I gestured with my fingers to indicate the thin air into which the performance vanished.

“You can notate the moves,” he said, moving his head up and down. “You can record the performance. But it’s not the same,” he agreed.

“But you can’t say it doesn’t go anywhere, just because it has a finite life.” I looked into his eyes. “It’s worthwhile. It’s worthwhile because it exists, even if for a short time.”

His lips parted, as if to say something. Our eyes lingered on each other for a long, silent moment. Then, he decided to remain quiet. His head raised, though, and his hand sought the back of my neck. We kissed softly at first. Unsurely. Then, he grew hungry. After a long moment I leaned over to switch off the light, and then I lay atop him, our bodies buckling and moving in soundless rhythm.

Our lips remained locked while we ripped the clothes from each others’ bodies. When I entered him a very few minutes later, we were still kissing. He cried out, not from pain, but from the shock of having me force myself in him so violently and without much lubrication. Then he clung to me as if he hoped we’d never part.

I fucked it up. And then I patched it, by being as simple and honest as I could.

I’m lucky to have him walking alongside me, even if for a brief while.

25 comments:

  1. Life is a series of moments; of performances - sad, excruciatingly beautiful, mostly ridiculous; but always hopeful if seen through eyes that understand the very basic of human truths.

    We hope to find others with the same understanding and are grateful to collect them in our hearts, even if our walk together is a brief one.

    Sometimes we are able to help those who lack this knowledge gain an understanding and in turn, strengthen the bond and make the journey - both theirs and ours - all the sweeter.

    Fuck up? Selfish? No, my friend. Just honest. Human.

    All the best to you, from a fellow traveler,

    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another post that made me question so many things about myself and my life...

    Sometimes I wish I could be as brave as you...but then...my dick isn't nearly as talented...so I can't be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People come into our lives right when they are meant to, and stay just as long as needed. It seems reading this, that you've been a very lucky, blessed man to know such love in your life...some never do. I think you handled it perfectly, showing him a glimpse of your heart...and what a beautiful heart it is.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please forgive me in advance if I say some of this wrongly, or unclearly. I just hope it makes at least minimal sense. Because after reading this post, I'm left asking myself "but when did a fuck-up occur?" When you fell in love with your wife? When you had children? When you decided to pursue a new chapter of your life in a new home? When you met and were open to Spencer? When you reached out to him? Which of those moments (or the hundreds of thousands of little sub-choices along the way) can be defined as a "fuck-up?" They are all genuine expressions of yourself - of love - of connection. What NON-fuck-up choice did you ever have that would have been better, that could have avoided a "fuck-up?" I don't see it. I can't locate the right escape hatch to avoid loss. We do the best we can. If our hearts are loving, and we see that person over there that we connect with, that our love reaches out to, how or why is it a fuck-up to let that love blossom? Is the pain (ours, theirs) truly proof that we have fucked up? If so, does that mean that we're supposed to ignore the connections, deny the love, walk away from others when they reach out to us? Is it about avoiding "messes?" Are we supposed to have a built-in "mess-predictor" in our brains that should sound an alarm and warn us of when we're about to seize a pleasure whose cost is too high?

    But the most confusing part of all, I think, is that every choice to connect and/or to not connect comes at a price not only to the self but to the other. What pain am I inflicting on him if I choose NOT to love him? What price am I demanding he/she pay if I DENY them the love I know I can give them (and which they are asking for)? Is even asking that question proof that my ego is drowning out my common sense? It would be so easy if we could only see what each choice would mean for ourselves and the other person in advance. What will this do to them/us in a week - or a year - or a decade? What happens to both of these lives if we do vs. do not express our connection? I think I could sacrifice my "happiness" if I knew that doing so really served the best interests of the other. But I/we never KNOW, do we? If the ultimate bottom line is "no matter what you do, loving somebody else OR refusing to love somebody else fucks everybody up" - then I see no way out.

    So ultimately, I deny the title you've given to this post. I don't think you fucked up. I think you opened up. And every time we do that, we accept both the burden of joy and the relief of pain. And I don't know what better answer we have available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, not a fuck up, just two people seemingly scared at what the future could hold for them and approaching it from different directions.

    You could have met your match Mr. Steed - there's a lot more going on behind the lines you write than you can even admit to yourself.

    Hang in there - this could be more than something casual - however scary that might seem now.

    Westie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This entry saddens me. The part when you told him that you often don't find real friends, and you like him. That's pretty much what I said to this guy who's the love of my life.

    I still think about him, a lot.

    William

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drew,

    I appreciate your thoughtful response. Thank you.

    Making the connection that not every person or experience had to be 'for keeps' is, in my eyes, a sign of maturity. The very young have to learn it somehow.

    I just hope I can be the gentlest of teachers.

    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ojo,

    Courage doesn't come from the dick. It comes from the heart and head. I know you have plenty of both.

    I wish you the courage you desire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David,

    You're very kind. And yes, I think I've had a blessed life. Perhaps I don't always appreciate all those blessings, but sometimes something will throw them all into sharp focus, and I'm glad for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Westie,

    Thank you. I really appreciate the encouragement, and the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  11. William,

    It sounds like you lost him. I hope I'm reading that wrongly. I'm very sorry to have saddened you, but thank you for your touching response.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rob- This man so clearly has deeper meaning for you than so many other in your life, and yet you are in that netherworld of being between lives and places and the ephemeral nature of relationships is made so stark during such times. it makes you more tender and vulnerable, which adds to your attractiveness to him. You did what your heart told you to do. You did not fuck up. Life handed you and your family a big staggered move at the time a fine new man came into your life. Life has fucked you both up, I don't see you as the near fuck up - you had complex ways of trying to figure out on the spot how to tell him a truth that was painful to you. So you nearly blew it with him -but he came back to you and your rapturous reconnection shows how quickly an intense emotional bond has developed.

    Rob, I hope you just live this sweet sudden all consuming relationship as fully as you can - you and he deserve this interlude to be memorable and that is the best that life brings us at times.

    This new and fate limited love affair you have begun comes close to bringing tears to my eyes. Many humans live an entire life without the experiences you two are already headed to having in the suspended state of uncertainty you are in. Let that cloud of uncertainty envelope you and let your soar, not extinguish you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who's doing the adaptation for this? Who's doing the score? Where can I buy advanced tickets for this movie? Is Ang Lee directing it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Mister Steed these latest entries from your are proper emotional rollercoaster for you and for your readers like me! When you lay there in silence not knowing how to fix things with Spencer it feeled like I was there in that silence too.

    Myself I have never ever learned how to handle them difficult moments, so I always shy away from all "can we talk" situations - in fact I mostly do a runner! But them words of yours have made me think about why I do that - and I will say now that if i'm in a situation in the future when finally I am willing to have that "can we talk" moment, then I'll know that it's because I've met someone real special to me. So I suppose I should look forward to that difficult moment. I am for sure looking forward to next hearing more from you and Spencer :)))

    love from Dan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jayson,

    As ever, you're super-kind to me. Thank you.

    A lot of people have pointed out that technically I didn't fuck up, but I still couldn't help but feel as if I did, somehow, somewhere along the way. It's an irrational feeling perhaps, but that doesn't make it any the less valid to my heart.

    I'll take your advice, my friend. Such encounters are rare.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Carwestie,

    Sounds like you've already bought your popcorn and Kleenex!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dan,

    The difficult situations are so easy to ignore or to run away from. I think avoiding the talks, in the end, don't let to anything but hurt feelings. At least through talking—even if both sides don't get what they think they want—two people can negotiate a friendly future.

    So yes. Look forward to that difficult moment, and do the difficult thing. I think it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. To echo what you (and David Waters) said and many of us are feeling, how 'bout a song?

    I've heard it said
    That people come into our lives for a reason
    Bringing something we must learn
    And we are led
    To those who help us most to grow
    If we let them
    And we help them in return
    Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
    But I know I'm who I am today
    Because I knew you

    Like a comet pulled from orbit
    As it passes a sun
    Like a stream that meets a boulder
    Halfway through the wood
    Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
    But because I knew you
    I have been changed for good

    It well may be
    That we will never meet again
    In this lifetime
    So let me say before we part
    So much of me
    Is made of what I learned from you
    You'll be with me
    Like a handprint on my heart
    And now whatever way our stories end
    I know you have re-written mine
    By being my friend

    Like a ship blown from its mooring
    By a wind off the sea
    Like a seed dropped by a skybird
    In a distant wood
    Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
    I do believe I've been changed for the better
    And because I knew you
    I have been changed for good

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jonking,

    Your comment went to Google's spam comment folder, which is why it didn't appear here right away. (I didn't even know there was a spam comment folder, honestly!)

    Ultimately I tend to agree with you. I don't think I fucked up. At the moment I wrote those words to a friend, though, that was how I felt.

    All of us make hundreds of little decisions every day that might not seem weighty or important at the time, but still buoy us along to a juncture at which we know we have to choose a course. One path might lead to freedom. The other might lead to a dead end. Who knows? It's in the clarity of the moment of choosing, however, that we realize how many little choices have brought us to it. And for me, I seemed to have made all the wrong ones.

    That was only a temporary state of mind, though, I assure you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Throb919,

    You are such a show tunes queen!

    Wait, what do you mean, how did I recognize that as a show tune? Um, someone told me. Yeah, that's the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  22. "A temporary state of mind" eh?

    Hmm, I am so not looking forward to this "talk" I must have with my Aquarius. The fleeting emotions, the ambivalent situations you put yourselves in. It is so frustrating and attractive. I know timing is everything, but it seems as though the more wrong something is, the righter it feels. This is all just my opinion and I am a very judgmental person. To many of us, unattainable is hot. We wouldn't have love songs or poetry if it weren't for these wretched situations. I cringed when I read about what you wanted to say verses what you actually said, but I know you were desperately trying to backpedal your "fuck up" or whatever you think it was now. You have that capacity for a meaningful exchange, and this is good, but when it is great, it can cause a lot of problems. Good luck with this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "The ticket"? Right. Orchestra Center Row L, no doubt. Or maybe the first row of the mezzanine. (Meet you at the entr'acte?)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fear thy Divine Judgment, dude, and then everything will dwindle into BS on earth, k?

    ReplyDelete
  25. No, there was no fuck-up. I see two people struggling to be open and vulnerable, which is difficult when words don't fail, but nearly impossible when they do. And totally human. It's wonderful that he returned and you two were able to find words to with which to reconnect with one another. Yes, so much of our lives are made up of such ephemera that we forget to honor and respect it as such. As well as to understand it's essential nature: impermanence. We do, however, have something which overcomes even that: our hearts.
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete