Saturday, June 12, 2010

Corrosion

I’m going to be a touch reflective today. And maybe a wee bit crabby . . . but not at you guys.

Last Sunday I allowed myself to be talked into going to the annual Motor City Pride celebration nearby. I know a couple of people who look forward to the event all year, and I have to admit I feel a little sorry for them. Michigan’s version of Pride is a little bit underwhelming, to be honest.

In years past, the celebration used to be held in an out-of-the-way parking deck, which made the collection of informational booths seem a little bit depressed and seedy. Subsequently it was moved onto the streets of a trendy gay neighborhood, which brightened up the mood a lot and brought the event out in the open. Despite the improvement in the surroundings, I never found Pride as fabulous as its aspirations. The booths are a mixture of the earnest—the volunteer organizations that do great good but which largely are ignored by the crowds, the pet shelters, the churches trying to welcome the lesbian and gay community with open arms—mixed with the slightly embarrassing home craft booths, like the two gay guys trying to sell homemade candles in the colors of the rainbow flag, or the woman selling godawful ‘festive penis piñatas’ that look like nothing more than stubby pink paper-mache fingers or pencil erasers. Or in the case of the black piñata, a Tootsie Roll.

There are the special interests groups, of course, and the social organizations handing out their literature. And then there are the just plain oddball exhibitions, like the Best Buy booth advertising its Geek Squad services by featuring wholesome young white men dressed up in equally white dress dress shirts, black pants, shiny black shoes, and black ties. (“What are the Mormons doing here?” asked every person in genuine puzzlement, whenever they passed the booth.)

Most people go for the dancing, or the beer tent, for the drag shows, or for the lesbians singing their folksy music on acoustic guitars at the most distant of the sound stages. But Sunday, when it was a chilly and damp Michigan afternoon and the skies kept opening up to pour down on the crowd, I couldn't say that people were having a lot of fun.

I’d had the foresight to wear a hat and a hoodie, at least. But when I trooped inside one of the business establishments along the festival’s street to join some of my friends, I was damp and a little disheveled. Worse, one of the first faces I saw crowded inside that tiny space was someone I detested. I sighed, wedged myself between two buddies who were sharing a snack, and tried to remain unobtrusive.

The guy in question is someone I’d not seen in about six years. Once every half-dozen years is more than enough. Usually it takes quite a misdeed to turn me off someone so badly. Not so with this guy. I can’t pinpoint exactly what it is that repulses me about him. It might be his smell, which is something akin to urine and mothballs. It might be the way he always kisses me on the cheek when I see him, with lips that are soft and dry and curiously repellant, like a disliked grandmother’s. Mostly, though, I think it’s his presumption that because we’ve seen each other in person maybe all of four times in a dozen years, that he and I are the best of friends and that he has the right to greet me with, “So who’ve you been throwing your legs in the air for lately, sugar?”

And a little bit of my dislike for him, I have to admit, is that the very first time I encountered this guy, he suggested the most outrageous sexual act on which I've never been tempted to follow through. It was at a gay.com party, about eleven years ago. The object of my dislike, who then was a really ugly guy with serial killer eyes and unruly hair and the smell of living in his mother’s basement thick upon his skin, backed me into a corner and asked if I wanted to help him live out a sexual fantasy. “What fantasy?” I asked, unwisely ignoring my instinct to run shrieking into the night like a frightened schoolgirl.

“What I’m looking for is someone who will poop in a pair of white briefs, then call me up and let me know you’re coming so I can lie down under the mail slot in my front door. Then all you have to do is drop the drawers through the slot.”

I was horrified. “You want me to drop my shitty briefs through the mail slot?” I echoed.

“Onto my face,” he explained. Then, to top it off, he actually licked his lips and purred, “Mmmmm.”

You may be surprised, but I declined that offer.

I let ol' poopy pants talk to the friend with whom I’d driven for a while, as I pretended to be invisible. It didn’t work. He worked his way around our circle of friends one by one, having a private word or ten. Eventually I felt him tugging on my sleeve. “Well hey,” I said with no real enthusiasm and a lot of feigned surprise. “How are you?”

“Damn, girlfriend,” he replied, almost immediately setting my teeth on edge. “You look so skinny. How’d you lose all that weight? What’s your secret?”

“Not eating,” I replied, quite truthfully. Years ago I used to weigh more than I do now. Sixty pounds more, in fact. Better eating habits got me back down to a waist size smaller than I had in college, and have kept me there for the last four years.

“Well whatever it is, you’re lookin’ good!” The loathsome one proceeded to tell me that he was moving out of town in two weeks for a job in a southern state. I managed not to jump up and down in glee, but instead congratulated him and let him glide on. Thankfully, he didn’t invite me to a going-away party. Nor did I offer to throw one.

After I disinfected with some Purell, I thought no more about that encounter until we’d given up on the rainy Pride event and were all at dinner, an hour later. “At least he’s leaving town,” I said, after invoking the unholy one’s name.

“Oh my god,” said the friend who’d talked to him first. “He is such a bitch. Do you know what he said about you?” I shook my head. “He said, ‘What’s wrong with Rob? He’s lost so much weight. Is he sick?’ And I told him that no, you’d lost weight because you’d gone on a diet, a long time ago. ‘Well he looks terrible,’ he said.”

“Oh my god,” echoed another friend at the table. “He said the exact same thing to me after he talked to you. He asked if you were sick, and said you looked awful, and that you just know what a lot of weight loss means when you're that way.”

“He said the same thing to me,” piped up someone else. “And I said, ‘You’ve got to be kidding. He looks great. You must not have seen him in a long while.’ ”

Around the table, everyone had the same story. This loathsome creature, even though he knew we were hanging around as a pack that afternoon, had gone around and told everyone how terrible and unhealthily skinny I appeared, with simpering insinuations of what it meant to lose so much weight in so short a period of time.

“I lost that weight over the course of three years!” I was angry for a variety of reasons. First and foremost, the corrosive quality of the gossip was bad enough. The way he’d moved from person to person, spreading his poison and hoping it’d somehow stick was even worse.

And perhaps most unthinking of all was that at least two of the people to whom he was tittle-tattling were HIV-positive.

I've been aghast all week. Why in the world would anyone try to mock or trivialize another person’s serostatus in such a way? I’m not sure I understand why anyone would use that particular fact as ammunition against another person—particularly in the gay community. Are we so hardened by the stones thrown at us by outsiders, that we feel free to pick them up and use them to finish off each other? It makes no sense.

I felt so dirty, after I learned about it. And angry. Who knows to whom this vampire gossip will flit next, trying to poison their minds? It reminds me of high school. Back then I’d worry obsessively about who was spreading what ugly rumors—and that was during days when the noxious winds of gossip were what turned the school’s mills.

The difference now, though, is that now I really don’t give a rip what people think about me. Not for longer than about two minutes, anyway. But oh, those two minutes . . . if they could’ve been captured, my feelings would have to be bottled in pure diamond, so corrosive they were.

I just checked one of the guy's online sex profiles. I jack off thinking about guys making me take a poz load, it says. Oy. The sheer amount of psychic dissonance between his fantasies and his actions makes my head hurt.

Play nicely with each other, guys. That's all I ask.

26 comments:

  1. I'm sorry such a toxic dick has the ability to get to anyone as seemingly nice as you! I, personally, find people like the individual very easy to ignore. Any kind of reaction you give a show pony like that is too much attention. Thoroughly ignore him. You're too good for anything less.
    By the way, you're not too thin at all. You look like you're trim and proportionate to your height. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He did it because you turned him down, you wouldn't play his games and he is jealous of you.

    There is a guy here that I know, he is the same kind of vile human being. He feels his superiority to everyone and no one likes him, he uses words and gossip to try and bring others to his level.

    These types of people are best ignored. He is probably moving away because his game has caught up to him and he needs new fertile grounds to spread his hate.

    Those of us who are good people need to just walk on when we see them coming and let them live their own ugly existence.... ALONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous,

    It is a little bit of a downer. But you know, I've ignored the guy for a good dozen years now and he's leaving town for good, so he won't be a problem any longer.

    There are a lot of guys out there like him, though. I wish there weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan,

    You're right, and I know it. Sometimes, though, I wish I had the kind of personality in which I could stand up to these bullies. I shush talkers in the movies, and have no problems asking other people to be courteous in public when they're being disruptive, so why should asking a malicious gossiper to stop his slander be any different?

    In this case, I'm just glad the guy's moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to boil it down to a more basic level, I can't stand anyone who calls me "girlfriend."

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a spiteful bitch! Here's hoping he does not darken your path again.
    Not the sexy thread I was hoping to read, but, as always, you display a calm rationality about it all (at least on the outside).
    I'm afraid I would have lost my temper, and verbally, (and even physically) assaulted the asshole.
    Thanks, again, for sharing your life with us,--the good, the bad, and, in this case, the truly ugly.
    Have a better weekend this time around. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fella--there definitely is that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob,

    You have a good weekend too. Thanks for sticking with me through a non-sexual entry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often think, sadly, that gay 'community' is a bit of a misnomer. Well, unless you factor in Peyton Place was a community as well. We aren't very kind to each other.

    I think that the internet - in spite of its ability to put us in touch with wonderful people in foreign lands, like Detroit - has made things a bit more challenging. We tend to enjoy anonymity now that allows some to say the most horrible things with no negative repercussions.

    Thank you for a thoughtful, and always thought evoking - blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was searching for the right words/expression -- and loadseeker used them for me, "calm rationality". It elevates you above his pettiness. Cheers for the weekend and your continued blessed blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As soon as I read his "normal" greeting to you, I thought: I know this guy. He's been cloned in a variety of venues all over southern California.

    Although being Wiccan prohibits me from doing magic that would deliberately harm another human being, I do have a friend whose spiritual ethics are a bit more flexible. Shall I have her do something that will suitably punish this guy for being such a moron? (evil grin)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richard,

    'Community' is always a misnomer if you take it to mean that everyone's going to smile and agree and hold hands and drink Coke. Community is merely something to which you belong. Not something with which you agree. Don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sammy Bear,

    You're a peach, and I'm working on a good weekend already. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Doc_Rob,

    Isn't moronity its own punishment already? I'm inclined to think so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Rob,
    Once again, thanks for a fantastic post. I truly enjoy your writing style, as it is spare, yet vividly descriptive at the same time. You handled that piece of shit in precisely the right way, and you had every right to be royally pissed at the crap he was throwing out about you. There's a guy at my gym who acts in the same way, always leering at other guys in the shower or sauna area, and if the object of his twisted desire doesn't respond, he can be heard saying how terrible the person looks, how out of shape they are, how unfocused their weight training regimen is, etc. Never mind the fact that he has a pronounced pouch and never works out at all. He just haunts the shower/steam room/sauna area. That's a lot of money to pay per month just to lust after other men who have no mutual interest.

    Ignore the jackasses, keep fucking asses, and above all, keep writing. I now have a serious crush on you, which is somewhat strange, as I'm also a top. Go figure! As far as the jackass you ran into at pride, the best words for him are from Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 4:
    "Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it"

    All the best
    -Curt

    ReplyDelete
  16. Curt,

    A top who quotes Shakespeare. Now I have the crush on you.

    You're a good guy for giving me a cheerful affirmation like that, my friend. And yes, I think that same desire to strike out and cut down someone crosses into all kinds of territory. Your gym guy sounds exactly like my Pride guy, only plopped into a tank top and moved into a new setting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So wait a minute, you can't stand the guy, you barely ever encounter him, yet you know his online sex profile name? And even though you can't stand him, you went and looked it up? And lo and behold it said "I jack off thinking about guys making me take a poz load." Come on, NOBODY has a profile like that unless it's on Bugshare, and then it would be totally anonymous. This doesn't add up....

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I felt for you when I read this. The other night I went to the sauna where this guy asked me my status after I had been sucking his cock for several minutes. I told him I was positive and he replied with.."eww you're dead". I was so stunned I didn't really know what to say, though 'fuck right off' would have been appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous,

    I don't know why it should be so difficult to find credence in the fact that I know the guy's online hookup profile name. It's not tough. His face is in it. He's on the sex sites 24/7. And yes, that's exactly what his profile says on BBRT.com. As I've stated before: I don't make shit up in my journal.

    If it's not adding up for you, learn how to count. It's kind of ironic that an entry about haters brings out the haters.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bbcubb,

    Ignorance is ugly and astonishing in any form. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is good in this world. Likewise, there is evil. After many years of taking shit like this, I finally (figuratively speaking) connected my "evil detector" to my feet. Now, when I sense that an evil person is entering my personal space--*zap*--there I go in another direction! Life is too short to allow negative influences one scintilla of room in my brain or in my spirit.

    On the other hand, "Fuck you" works nicely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. RUJ,

    "Fuck you" works best when the evil's right in your face. If it's doing its busy work behind the scenes and out of earshot, there's not much one can do about it.

    But I hear you. Best to just keep out of evil's way as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I may be the least judgmental person you'll ever meet. (My delicate Southern sensibility requires the disclaimer.) That said, the person in question is a vile, despicable, evil queen. Anything you might've said in rejoinder would've been lost on him, a waste of your time and breath. (Pearls before swine.) Any momentary "So there!" satisfaction would've been diminished by your eventual regret that you'd lowered yourself to his level. That you'd even allowed him to affect you in any way. (You are possessed of a similar sensibility. You can take the boy out of Virginia...)

    Good riddance. I just hope he's not coming to my southern state.

    That I read "Muscular / Intelligent / Educated" only eight hours before you posted "Corrosion" is a fortunate (if somewhat uncanny) coincidence. Two sides of the same coin, maybe. In that instance, you confronted stunning ignorance with remarkable (and enviable) aplomb. And the requisite shock and awe. The shock may've been his; the awe is all mine.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  24. Throb,

    Fear not. He's not heading to your state, though he is going somewhere where I have a lot of readers. I didn't tell them in advance, though, because they can find out how toxic he is on their own.

    It is funny how those two entries are flip sides to the same issue, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete