Monday, July 12, 2010

Eagle Memories

In the middle of my Toronto trip, an old bartender friend of mine dropped me an email. I thought it had been to reminisce about the time I fucked him in the parking lot of the Detroit Eagle, where he’d worked. Or maybe the time on the patio. Or at the baths. No, though. He was wondering if I’d heard about the closing of the bars where he’d used to work.

The bars in my city, I should explain, aren’t clustered together as they are in Toronto or Chicago. They’re not contained in a neat little network or neighborhood. No, they’re all far-flung, and usually in some of the worst neighborhoods imaginable, so that a typical night of gay bar-hopping here wouldn’t consist of stumbling out of the door of some well-lit establishment and down a few paces to the next, but rather of bundling up in one’s blizzard-protecting clothing, making sure that one’s car is still intact and not perched on cinderblocks, then piling in and driving twelve miles to a destination in another ratty and depressed area of the city.

So no, I hadn’t heard that the Detroit Eagle was closing, I told the bartender. Yet I wasn’t surprised. The Eagle had been in decline for years; it was in an industrial wasteland, surrounded by abandoned homes and overgrown empty lots. It had been a regular hangout of mine for several years, a long time ago, and I enjoyed the packed house of leather-and-denim-clad men on Saturday nights. I’d had a lot of good times with friends there, back when it was a regular destination. But then, about seven or eight years ago, the crowds began to thin. Friday nights, I rattled around the place like the last candy in a Whitman’s sampler. The Saturday crowd, which used to pack the place, dwindled rapidly as guys fled to other hot spots. By the time I stopped going every week, a hopping Saturday night at the Eagle meant the two bartenders and maybe eight guys smoking themselves dry around the bar.

Saturday night was the bar’s last night, so a bunch of friends who used to go regularly with me decided to get together and say goodbye to the place. We’d gone out for pizza and beer beforehand, and found the streets around the Eagle getting pretty full when we arrived at ten. One of our group, Barry, the innocent one, had never been to the Eagle before. “Don’t worry,” I consoled him. “We’ll get you fisted on the pool table.”

“Wait. What?” said Barry, who pulled at the lapels of his white dress shirt as if to protect himself.

No, there was never any fisting on the pool table at the Detroit Eagle. Not when I was around, anyway. Damn it.

Inside the Eagle was quite a crowd. It was as if the city’s fetish crowd decided to have one last huzzah. Men stood around in their gear, from simple leather vets and caps to full leather daddy fantasy wear. A couple of men wore rubber; many wore ratty jeans and had stuffed different-colored bandanas in their back pockets. Two men wore mascot costumes that completely covered them; one looked like a gray Snoopy (in leather chaps and vest, with a biker’s cap), and the other appeared to be Clifford the Big Red Dog. Around them, on all fours and wearing kneepads and studded leather canine masks that were zipped up and padlocked in the back, were several shirtless boys pretending to be puppies.

It was when the puppies started to mock-hump each other that I suddenly got nostalgic. I’d had a lot of good Saturday nights there. “You know what?” I said. “In memory of the place’s passing, we should all do something we did back in the day.”

“Like what?” asked Matt.

I nodded at the room’s far end. “Like you should make out with someone on top of the pinball machine.”

“I didn’t make out with anyone on top of the pinball machine,” he retorted instantly.

“Oh you did. Don’t you remember that guy? His head was under your shirt as he sucked your nipples!”

Loftily, he replied, “I wasn’t on top of the pinball machine.” He sniffed. “I was leaning against it.”

“Or you,” I said to Mark. “Remember that guy who used to stalk you? You should find him and stalk him back.”

“And what did you do?” asked Barry, the innocent one. Almost immediately, everyone else in our group of seven friends snorted, sputtered, choked, or gargled in a cough. I shot a cold, cold stare around the circle. “What?” asked Barry, oblivious.

“Well going by that logic,” said Mark, “he ought to be pinning a divorced dad of two against the wall and making out with him for two and a half straight hours.”

“There was nothing straight about that make-out session,” said Mark’s partner. “And he should also be ordering random men in the bar to take off their shirts.”

Barry’s jaw had distended slightly. “Suggested is more the word,” I assured him. “I never ordered.”

“He should in the bathroom peeing in some guy’s mouth,” said Matt.

“Listen, Mr. Pinball Persnickety-ness,” I told him. “I peed in a cup and then made him drink it in the men’s room. I didn’t feed him from the tap, here.”

“Didn’t you once make a leather sub clean your Doc Martens with his tongue on the patio?” asked Don.

“Oh my god!” Barry seemed horrified.

“I thought you told me he peed in the fountain out there and made someone drink from it,” said Don’s partner.

“Same guy,” Don told him.

Mark piped up again. “Remember when he told some man to take off his pants and the guy almost broke his legs?”

“It was his own damned fault for leaving his pants around his ankles and trying to walk down the stairs,” I growled. “If he’d had any sense, he would’ve taken them all the way off.”

“Or not taken them off at all!” Mark said. I had to admit he had a point.

“He ought to be getting handcuffed for over an hour upstairs to a spanking bench,” said Don.

Oh my god!” said Barry.

“Listen,” I told him. “Don’t listen to these assholes. It was a fetish demonstration and they couldn’t find the key. I wasn’t. . . .”

“He ought to be wearing his old jeans with the enormous hole in the seat and letting random guys stick their hands in,” said Matt. Barry’s eyes widened. “Without underwear.”

“Well, it doesn’t make any sense to wear underwear,” I said in my defense.

“Not after you took it off in the men’s room and sold it to that drunk guy who tied it around his head,” said Matt.

“He wasn’t that drunk, and those were two different nights,” I found myself saying to Barry. Somehow I recognized I was fighting a losing battle, though. “I think we’ve all had enough,” I said firmly to everyone. “The past is past, right? Here’s to the present.” I lifted up my bottle of water in a toast. “And to the future.”

No one joined me in my toast, but they all remained silent for a little bit. Then Mark spoke up again. “He ought to be fucking the bartender on the patio.”

“And fucking the bartender in the parking lot,” Matt added.

“And getting sucked off upstairs behind the second bar,” said Don.

I stalked away and let them reminisce. Sometimes it’s a pain to have friends with such long memories.

21 comments:

  1. ROFL! It's probably good that you don't keep the same group of friends around you during all your escapades. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. The Detroit Eagle was the most chaste leather bar I've ever visited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writer,

    I am not keeping any friends around during any experiences, in the future. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FelchingPisser,

    It really was. And it wasn't all that leathery, either. Whenever someone new would go for the first time they always entered with expectations of depravity, and would leave disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kind of like Detroit in general. Just sad. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Whenever someone new would go for the first time they always entered with expectations of depravity, and would leave disappointed." They must not have gone there on the nights you were there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chicago Fella,

    There are definite parallels there indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luv2suk,

    Misty watercolor mem'ries of the way I was, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. GH Fan,

    Everyone should go on the nights I do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want you so bad I ache ugh fuck

    ReplyDelete
  11. Johnny,

    No need to ache! You just need to go out and get fucked.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you should offer classes, maybe a fellowship. Much I could learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Richard,

    Just going with the hole in the seat of your pants should get you started down the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fine tribute to a place that obviously played an important part in your social life through the years. It's sad that we are now witnessing the death of similar bars across the country. I think that one of the downsides to us becoming more accepted into mainstream society is that we no longer have to go to our town's respective "Eagle". I personally no longer feel as if I have to go to an exclusively gay club to socialize and be myself. Although one certainly cannot do at Applebees what can be done at The Eagle. I doubt that the staff at Applebees would be so understanding of the sex in in the back halls. Still, it's all become so easy to be less social and select the "flavor du jour" from the comfort of our favorite armchair. We just have to log on to A4A or BBRT or wherever, fire up the webcam, and order out for dick in the same way we'd send out to have Mr. Wang deliver our favorite dim sum. It's a shame, really.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's not everyone that can share people trying to laugh at them at their expense. You're a gifted man, Rob, and you deserve the good things you get.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kevin,

    I'd forgotten about this entry. It made me laugh.

    I think I tend to write self-mortifying entries more than people realize, though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's a great story and the self-effacing humor is still loving, light-hearted and truly funny.
    Thanks.
    JPinPDX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to read this entry again because I didn't really remember it. I really DID do a lot of crap at that place!

      Delete
  18. Just found your blog (so late)! Started with the oldest one and working my way up. This is the most hilarious one so far by a loooong stretch. Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete