Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Incident: Part 3

(Breeder's note: Please see the ground rules before commenting. Thanks.)


A few years later, when I had a favorite student assistant move into the same building, I finally got to revisit what Tom’s apartment might have been like. I don’t have a lot of distinct memories of the place from that January night, either entering or leaving—just some impressions that I interpolate with my recollections of that move. But later, when I was struggling to get my student assistant’s mattress through up the stairs and front door, I was struck by how narrow were the staircases of the stately apartment building. It had been built in the nineteen-twenties, before air conditioning and electronics and oversized, plush furniture.

The stairwells were tight and awkward, and the hallway leading from the apartment entrance into the living room was also barely wide enough to squeeze through, much less navigate a queen-sized set of bedsprings around. But inside the spacious one-bedroom apartments, the ceilings were tall, the floors were wood, and the rooms were dark and cool from the shade of a knotty oak tree that overgrew the building. Tom was long gone by the time I helped my student assistant move, but I still had a shiver of recognition that day; it wasn’t even his apartment I was helping her inhabit, but it seemed to echo with malice.

So I don’t remember much about my approach to Tom’s place. My mind has steadily eroded that portion of the night from memory. I don’t remember what we talked about on the long walk back from the bar to his apartment building, south of campus, or even if we talked much at all. I do recall passing my own building, and answering a question about whether or not I enjoyed living there. And I remember looking around Tom’s place and marveling about how sparsely furnished it was. Even in the dim, white-blue light from the street lamps outside, I could tell it was less a living space and more a prison cell.

Here are some of the fleeting things I remember noticing: no rugs lay on the floors, and no photographs or poster hung on the walls. There was a cheap formica table with a single chair near the kitchen area, and a small table that held a telephone near the entrance. The phone itself was one of those old rotary-dial models that one used to lease from the phone company itself. It looked as if it weighed a ton. There was a single sofa in the living area, and a very small portable television rigged with a wire hanger in lieu of an antenna. Through an open door off the living room I could see a bathtub with no curtain in one small room, and a sleeping area in the other. The double bed was almost clinically made up with white sheets pulled so tight that they seemed as one with the mattress.

“So what about—?”

I'd meant to ask about the bottom guy that Tom had talked about summoning for us to share. “Sshh,” he said, putting a finger to his lips. I blinked several times at the urgency of his whisper. “I don’t want them to hear.” He pointed to various spots around the room.

For a moment I didn’t understand, until I remembered his paranoia about the FBI bugging his apartment. I am not sure I bought into it, but I remember having humor enough to play along. “Okay,” I said twice as softly, as I began turning around to face him. “Where’s this—?”

The last thing I remember for several minutes after that is seeing the metal base of the very heavy telephone swinging in an arc toward my face. It connected with my right cheek so hard that its bell sounded, a high-pitched ring that seemed to linger and never fade. Fireworks bloomed before my eyes at the impact, but I don’t remember it hurting at first. I staggered, too shocked and surprised to do much else. Then he swung out again with the phone and brought it down on my forehead, hard. I felt the curled cord snap across my face with a sharp sting, and remember watching the handset descend from above and stop at my face. I wondered to myself why it seemed to have been so high in the air. Then I realized that I was lying on the floor, Tom was still standing above me, and that the receiver had landed next to me. I still seemed to be hearing the bell. My body was vibrating at its exact frequency, so that the sound and I were one.

Then I blacked out for a while.

I came to on the bed. My head and body still seemed to be vibrating from the blows. I felt as if a great weight held me down, increasing my personal gravity by three times as much. Now my head hurt. My brain’s pounding was intense and almost unbearable. It was several moments before I was able to endure the pain enough to open my eyes. When I did, I wished I hadn’t. Something immediately began stinging at them. When I raised my head and a trickle of metallic-tasting fluid tricked down my cheek and into my mouth, I realized it was blood.

I made a noise. Immediately I heard a voice in my ear, and realized that the great weight upon me was Tom himself. “Shut the fuck up,” he snarled in my ear. I tried to speak again, not really understanding. “They better not hear this." He shoved my head down so hard that my nose almost snapped against the mattress. I felt fingers jabbing at my asshole, shoving themselves inside along with some kind of cold, cold lube. Much later, when I was cleaning myself up, I realized it had to be Vaseline.

His penetration of me was torturous and difficult. Instinctively I clamped down to prevent it. He, in the meantime, had no qualms about fucking his ugly dick in me anyway. If I yelled, I don’t remember it. I cried some, but even that was too painful for me to continue. When he was in, he fucked in an unvarying in-and-out pattern, stabbing me with his cock. I could feel little bites on my ass from his zipper, so either he’d only yanked them down partway or merely unzipped. “Jesus Christ,” he whispered after a while, still keeping his voice down. “Do something. Don’t just fucking lie there.”

He wasn’t challenging me to resist his assault—I was too hurt and stunned still to do that anyway. The fucker actually wanted me to fuck back, to make the sex better for him. I have always been stubborn to a fault; even when being assaulted I decided to sent the biggest fuck you to him I could by going completely limp. It wasn’t hard. I didn’t have much fight in me. I simply lay there and endured his clumsy, abrupt thrusting, and prayed for it to be over.

It wasn’t, not by a long shot. He seemed to fuck me for hours, shanking my hole in a non-varying rhythm, never growing softer, never seeming to get closer to his goal. From time to time he’d pause for a few seconds and rearrange my limbs or pull my hips higher, almost as if he was plumping up a pillow that wasn’t quite comfortable enough for him. Then he’d be off again, plunging in and out while some disembodied part of myself wondered for how long it could possibly go on.

I’d never been in such white-hot, ragged pain. My head hurt badly; my jaw was now aching with such fire that I wondered if it would ever work again. The act of breathing alone nearly killed me. My hole felt as if it was simultaneously burning and being fucked by a knife with every thrust. Whenever Tom moved his hands to rearrange me, it felt as if bruises blossomed where he touched. I was bleeding like I’d never bled before and never have since. The plain white sheets were crimson and sticky from my head wounds. Whenever I was brave enough to open my eyes, I’d see that the stains were growing bigger and bigger.

Mostly I kept my eyes shut.

“Christ,” Tom eventually said, still in that hushed voice. “You are the worst fucking lay I’ve ever had. I’d be better off fucking a corpse.” Somehow I knew that turning myself into a rag doll was prolonging the experience, and that it was making him savage me even more roughly to get some kind of a reaction, but I didn’t much care. I lay there, drifting in and out of pain and maybe even consciousness, until I felt a series of merciless bangs, accompanied by pauses in between. His dick felt as if it had barbs beneath the head when he yanked it out. It was over. The weight of him disappeared, and I heard him stomp off. I was left alone.

I don’t remember exactly how long I lay there until I was able to pull myself together. It probably wasn’t very long, but I was still so stunned and reeling that I had no objective view of time. When finally I sat up, I had a hard time of it because my feet were still tangled in my jeans and shorts. One sneaker was still on my foot. The other lay nearby, the laces still done. I’d been wearing a jacket, sweater, and shirt when I’d entered the apartment. I saw them on the floor by the front door, in a wad. When I stood up to adjust my pants, I nearly careened into the wall opposite.

The white sheets were covered in blood when I left. I was certain my face was covered with it, too. I could tell by the way I was sniffing that I'd sprung a nosebleed at some point. Out I stumbled to the living room, where Tom was hunched over on his sofa, hands dangling between his knees as he watched something on the little TV. The telephone was back on its stand. “Key-rist, are you still hanging around?” he asked. He made it sound as if I disgusted him. “Get the fuck out of here already. Go on. Get!” He stood up. When I bent over to retrieve the rest of my clothes, he shoved me toward the door. His voice dropped down to a whisper again, as he remembered the listening devices he thought were around the apartment. “You got a hell of a lot to learn about how to bottom.”

He shoved me so roughly that I went sprawling down the hallway toward the front door. The narrow passage kept me upright. He reached past me, opened the door, and pushed on my chest to force me out. Then he shook his head, and kicked out the remainder of my clothing after me. My coat and sweater ended on the landing; my shirt flew into the air and landed on the stair railing before it slipped off. I heard the door slam.

I had to finish dressing in the apartment hallway. I was fearful that someone would catch me there; already I was feeling shame about what had just happened. Once I was in my winter clothes, I managed to walk down the stairs and outdoors. Walking hurt, and my shorts were soaked with the semen dripping from my hole. Every step brought back vivid memories of the raping that my ass had just endured. It felt as if my insides would never again be the same. I’d never before felt so fragile, as if my body was jerry-rigged from second-hand Scotch tape and children’s paste and little bits of string.

Somehow I managed to get back to my apartment building without anyone noticing my bloody face and distressed state—no one was on campus, so that helped. The night manager of my apartment building was back in his office when I slunk through the lobby. My greatest fear, that someone would be either in the elevator or the hallway when I made my way to my apartment, was thankfully unrealized. I fumbled with my key, and let myself into my little home.

I remember not wanting to look at myself in the mirror, not wanting to see how much damage there was to my face. I didn’t want to shower, either, dirty as I felt—taking a shower would require getting naked, and once I was naked I’d have to assess exactly the extent of my injuries. I wanted to crawl into bed, but I didn’t want to dirty the sheets. I couldn’t lie down on the sofa, because it wasn’t mine and I didn’t want to bleed on it.

So at last, without much thought, I grabbed an extra blanket, wrapped it around my shoulders. I lay down in my little bathtub, and curled up into a ball. I didn’t cry. I couldn’t, really. I lay there and stared into the darkness.

After a long time, I fell asleep, and dreamed over and over of what had happened hours before.

54 comments:

  1. That was worse than I expected it to be, made all the more horrific by your excellent writing skills. Nothing less than I would expect from a fellow graduate of the college of knowledge, of course, but I'm still a bit aghast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shocked by the violence, literally speechless.
    And my eyes are filled with tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago Fella,

    I don't think there's any appropriate 'Hey, that wasn't so bad!' response, so aghastness is probably about right. I'm good, though. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RoswellTop,

    Any ending in which I'm still alive and whole is a happy ending. Don't you fret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree--it was awful, and it's done, and you're here. Ruthlessly pragmatic as I am, I really feel that the biggest shame is enduring loss of your versitility. Obviously, bottoming was something that you used to enjoy. . . a lot. Over and over and over. As a fellow highly sexual person who also tops most of the time, I know how satisfying it is to get pinned down by a big hairy guy once in a while and have your prostate pounded. In a way, this guy's worst crime was stealing a part of your sexuality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good observation, Fella, and entirely on point. I have bottomed since then, but not without a lot of qualms on my part, and reassurances on my partner's. The biggest shame is that it now takes so much work and negotiation to accomplish what used to be a no-brainer for me.

    Part of that is my fault, of course. If I were more willing to sit down with guys I'm attracted to that way and to explain my issues and needs, I could get what I wanted more often. But frankly, it's tiresome to have to turn an encounter into a Learning Conversation, so I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're planning an afternoon tryst with Scruffy today. After that story, you need a little R & R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! For the first time, since enjoying your blog, I wish you weren't such a talented writer. I too am shocked as to the violence of what happened to you. The human animal's ability to be so inhuman has never ceased to amaze me. As horrible an experience as it must have been for you, you're still here. And for that I'm grateful.

    I dont comment much on blog postings, but I just wanted you to know how much I really appreciate your sharing; not just this, but all your posts.

    Be Well, and Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Buck. I remember you commenting before, and I'm just glad to be appreciated by you.

    The still-being-here thing is the most important thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am crying thats so awful. I am suprised you would want to have anything to do with men after that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cant even imagine how your body felt. As amazing as it is to have some you like or love inside you conversely its horror to have a evil person in your most intimate spot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate this. I knew the story already, and yet...what is wrong with people? Why do we have to cause so much pain? And why do you have to be so far away, when all I want to do right now is curl around you and hold you.

    I'm reaching for something I don't know how to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rob -- If memory serves me correctly, one of your encounters described his "love making: with you as being "transformative" and how you expressed a bit of surprised at the experience. In each and every comment that is made to you and responded to tapped tapped the essence of that comment and channeled back to the commenter your grace and understanding leaving the commenter blessed by your insight and compassion. You have accepted our loving thoughts for you and doubled them when you respond. Thank you for sharing with us / me and know that, once more, my support and big bear hugs are with you. I continue to be touched by your blog and by you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This story is eerily reminiscent of an experience I had back in the 90's.

    I too was young and would cruise parks, usually after the bars closed, so I was drunk. There was a guy that I would see often, big guy, kind of quiet, creepy, but seemed harmless. I normally ignored him.

    One night, he and I were the only ones there so we ended up talking. To make this short, like a idiot, I took him back to my apartment with the intention of blowing him. His dick was exactly like you described Tom's. I tried to hide my disgust but, he could tell.

    He went into a rage, slapped my face, forced his cock into my mouth, and then decided he was going to fuck me. He made me lie on my back, he wanted me to watch him, and then he fucked me raw for I don't know how long. He came in my ass and then wouldn't leave.

    A friend of mine, who had habit of showing up in the middle of the night came over and that got rid of him. After that, I quit going to the park.

    I don't normally comment on your blog but, there are many things about your experiences that remind me of my own. I just wish this was not one of them. Be well, you're a wonderful writer and I really enjoy the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am shocked by what happened and I'm in tears here. The fact that you were violently raped and were able to came through the other side as a whole, and overall happy man makes me wonder if I could have done the same if this violation happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gloryhole

    I am with you! I am not that strong . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh.

    White.

    Hot.

    Burning.

    Anger.

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are no words to sufficiently convey my feelings right now.

    As previous commenters have posted, your writing skills paint a picture that is painful to look at. I am disgusted at the lack of humanity in people.

    I am sick at the flashes of familiarity of this event. Take out the blood and overt violence and this is the story of myself and my grandfather when I was about 7. I never told anyone of it until very recently so the memory is very fresh in my mind. I am not as strong as you and unfortunately it has adversely affected my life for the past 39 yrs. I am just coming to terms with that.

    Thank you for sharing. I am happy that you have not let this rape destroy you as a person but sad that it seems to have diminished a part of your sexuality.

    They say the best revenge is a life well lived. And that, I think, is what you have.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admire your courage and appreciate your excellent writing of this experience. I can imagine it was incredibly hard to put down paper. It makes me admire you more as a wonderful, strong and gifted man who has a real depth of soul. Thank you for sharing this. I know it's in the past and I know that sympathy is not really what you are after, but if I could I'd give you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Writer,

    You don't need to say anything. I know what you mean. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sammy Bear,

    You are a sweetheart. Thanks for always thinking the best of me. Even I can't manage that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alex,

    Your experience is parallel to mine in a lot of ways. I'm sorry for your experience in exactly the same way you're sorry for mine.

    What I'm glad for, however, is that we both made it out the other side with our skins intact. If we ever meet somewhere, let's raise a toast to that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. GH Fan,

    Oh, wipe those tears away. I'm fine. You should be too.

    Bad things happen to us all. It's really not until they do that we discover exactly how strong we are, and the depths of our personal resources. I try to look at it this way: each trial we face is a gift of sorts from the universe. The bigger the trial, the bigger the gift.

    Despite the violence and unwelcomeness of the act, it really was a gift to me, because it taught me not only what I can endure, but exactly what I haven't endured or tolerated since.

    So cheer thee up!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Saab,

    I appreciate your reaction. There's no need for anger, though. It's long in the past for me. I offer you the most sincere of virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tiggybubba,

    Thank you for sharing as well, though I'm very sorry to hear of it.

    I like your definition of revenge; I think I am going to have to remember that one. Thank you for that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Brad,

    No, sympathy is not on my list of reasons I wrote this entry (which is good, because it seems that I have to be handing out the tissues today!), but I am grateful for you hug and for your support. Thank you so very much.

    And yes, I am strong and wonderful and gifted. And modest, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. As I sit here writing, I'm still in shock from the story of your assault. I feel like I've been run over. I'm so glad you not only survived, but became a stronger man as a result (from what I could glean from your months of blog posts).

    Like so many others, I too was sexually assaulted but my assault was nothing like yours. However, like you the trauma has prevented me from bottoming for the last 30 years (since age 14). Only in the last year or so have I begun to desire being on bottom. I want to know what it's like, but I have yet to act on it for fear of being traumatized again.

    After reading your account, it's clear to me that whoever I find to top me needs to be someone I know, someone I trust, and someone who understands my childhood trauma and can keep that in mind when topping me. I'm guessing you have similar requirements for those who may top you.

    I'm so glad I discovered your blog a few months ago and went back to read nearly all of your posts. I want to say thank you for sharing this part of your life with us. Your insight is invaluable to me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Rob, I hope this sharing of that horrible experience with all of us can help you is some cathartic way. I know you did not do this to generate sympathy, that is not like you. But it does serve to help us understand your journey better, and serves as a cautious warning to all of us about the evils of some men, and their ability to fool their victims and then close the door and be so violent. My rape story was milder, and more about verbal threats of violence that were sickly connected to his need to humiliate and scare and have that be a sexual turn on.

    I appreciate your sharing this painful incident with us. I knew it was coming, but still it is such a shock to see it written down. While long past, you have let us know the scar tissue is still there and affects your own sexual freedoms some.

    You will never forget it, but we hope you can have it heal more day by day.

    over without the

    ReplyDelete
  29. I kind of regret reading that. But then again I only had to read it...

    ReplyDelete
  30. I truly hope that you one day get to hear of that shitbag's demise. There are some people the world is wholly better off without.

    I also hope that he dies / died after a burst of sudden conscience so that he can / could experience a smidgen of the suffering he caused you and likely to others and then croak in his own wretchedness.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It makes me angry in so many ways, and I know you don't want sympathy so I'll focus on something else.

    One of the things that makes me angry is that it goes far beyond the initial violence and violation, and makes it traumatic for people like Breeder to do things they once loved.

    Also it takes things that should be beautiful, and makes them vile. As I've mentioned before I operate in the BDSM community, and nothing can be more wonderful than a Daddy and boy, voluntarily exchanging power amongst themselves.

    But that beautiful thing can be twisted into abuse if the Daddy doesn't care for the boy, or if he twists the use of the power to bad ends.

    For me there is something truly hideous about taking something wonderful and not only trying to destroy it, but polluting it for the future. Preying on trust doesn't only hurt in the violation of the trust but also in making it so much harder to trust, so much harder to experience some of the good things that come with trust.

    [sigh]

    Now I'm just ranting.

    You seem to have come out the other side mostly intact. But it still makes me want to just hold you for a little bit and rub your head.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So many kind and supportive things have been said. Please allow yourself (as against your nature as it may be) to bask in that warmth. To feel the genuine emotion you elicit in so many people through your openness, your honesty, and—above all—your talent. You exhibit compassion, generosity, and integrity on a day-to-day basis here; today I'm overwhelmed by your strength.

    You are an extraordinary man. Thank you for sharing all that you share with all of us.

    I am grateful to be your reader and honored to be your friend.

    Love,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  33. Rob, Let me echo what everyone has said about the horrific violence. Usually what I imagine turns out to be worse than the actual facts - but this was the opposite.

    Even so, I realize now I needn't have worried that you were being goaded by some insensitive comments into writing about something you would not be able to explore on your own terms, with complete strength and grace. As hard as it was to read, I thank you (as always) for your unflinching honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Rob:

    Anonymous Two, ca. JUL 20, must return. (I regret being too lazy to properly register via Blogger.) It was characteristically modest of you to reply that this series would not be "a blockbuster, exactly," and not inaccurate for me to expect as much, beforehand. (I, too, can be a little stubborn -- and then some, perhaps.)

    My own expression of horror, vicarious anger and perplexity would add little to what has already been written by so many others, and so effectively. I do feel a need, however, to share an idea that has not yet appeared in these comments. Depending on the state and local laws in effect at the time of this incident, you apparently had strong reason to charge "Tom" with assault, battery and/or sexual assault. That you did not, or that you did and have not yet written about any such charges (and might never write about them) gives me pause. I mean to respect whatever your decisions in this matter were, as only you can know what is best for yourself, and as competent adults must themselves be responsible for acting on such knowledge. Still, I need to ponder what the possibility that those who have been abused as you were -- and either cannot obtain justice, or believe as much -- means for all, especially in our community.

    Let me finally judge where you have not, at least here: "Tom" proved to be a psycopath, and his so-called debt to society was clearly not paid by incarceration. At best, it seems to me that his destructiveness merely changed form. (No one who reads this should take me as insinuating that "you should have known," Rob. At the time, what reasonable and healthy mind would have made more of "the signs" than you did? Psycopaths manipulate in ways that balanced minds rarely see. That is only, sadly human.)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Trey,

    You and I sound similar in our trust issues about bottoming. Everything you said resonated pretty strongly with me. I very sincerely hope that you find a guy (or several guys!) who can fulfill that role for you in an sweet and intimate way.

    I also hope that guy knows how to hold you in his arms and tell you it's okay, if you don't succeed the first time. A little room for failure is all I ask for, too.

    Thanks for commenting. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Jayson,

    As always, you're very kind to me. Thank you. I don't know that threats are any better than physical violence. I think I was affected in the long term more by being called a lousy lay, than I was by any of the damage Tom did physically to me. (It kind of makes sense to me that since then I've been working to prove I'm definitely NOT a lousy lay.)

    As for the healing, I'm fine. Really! You all worry about me too much. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Emma,

    I regret if it distressed you, honestly. But thank you for reading it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nick,

    You could make a living writing colorful curses. Actually, if you find that job, let me know about it so I can apply to.

    I think being a total shit is probably its own punishment. I don't know that for sure, but it's certainly pretty to think so.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Saab,

    You can hold me and rub my head anytime. I would probably purr, too.

    I totally get what you mean. At its best and most equitable, sex is a great exchange of pleasure, emotion, and intimacy. Using it as assault perverts and cheapens it.

    Even in BDSM scenarios, the sex is ideally not about one person taking control from another for selfish reasons. It's about one person surrendering control, having his trust rewarded, and both participants enjoying the power swap.

    Anytime something beautiful is turned into a weapon, it's awful. It makes Baby Jesus cry.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Throb919,

    Thank you for your love. I offer mine in return.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mark,

    You always haul out the Roget's Thesaurus Of Totally Good Adjectives for me, don't you? Thank you for your faith in me.

    I didn't feel goaded at all. Quite the contrary. And I've been feeling great all week. Actually, if anything, I feel a little abashed at bringing everyone else down today!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These last three posts could not have been easy.

    There's not much I can add to the many thoughtful, supportive, and poignant comments made already but that your courage leaves me breathless.

    thank you for... well, thanks.

    and glad you're doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous Two,

    Thanks for your insights.

    I actually will be discussing the aftermath of the incident in tomorrow's entry. You're correct in assuming, however, that I didn't press charges, or report the assault.

    Of everything that happened that night (and afterward), not reporting the assault is the only thing that I feel badly about. Tomorrow's entry explains the kind of head space I occupied after being raped, but there were a number of factors that weighed in on my decision. (If it can be called a decision. I was a weasel, and simply opted not to decide.) I was ashamed. I didn't want to talk about it, or be grilled about it by police officers (of whom I'd been frightened since my run-in with the law in my mid-teens). Twenty-five years ago I was dimly aware that sometimes men were raped, but it wasn't talked about much, and I didn't want to be one of the very few. I was closeted.

    I also didn't want to be disbelieved, or challenged.

    These days I'd say "Fuck all that!" and press charges. I wasn't the same person then.

    So although I can't really apologize for the twenty-five-year-distant me, I would like to say that I'm sorry he disappoints you. In the same respect, he disappoints me too.

    I in no way way interpreted your other comments as chiding about how I should've known. There really was no way I could. And yes, he was a psychopath.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Jeffny456,

    Thank you! And jeez, I've been okay for years. Don't you worry!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I know you don't want our sympathy comments, but this extremely well-written recollection of that night brought me to tears. I, too, have been assaulted. Though I was never beaten with a telephone, I was forced to do something I didn't want to do. I also never reported the incident because I didn't want to feel like a pussy (for lack of a better term.) I've never been in so much pain in my life, so I know where you're coming from. I really feel honored that I've discovered your blog and have been part of your healing process. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Christopher here. (I really have to create a Google account.)

    I know this is a long time ago for you, and that you've healed from it (except for your bottoming issues), but it's new (at least the details) to us. So many of us are in shock, as you were. Not as intensely of course, but we're still in the "it just happened" stage.

    It made me think of three things: First, that if this guy is still alive, that's terribly wrong. Second, that that problem can be fixed. I deeply want to fix it. If he's dead, he's one of those people who makes me wish I believed in Hell so he could burn in it. If he's dead, I hoped he died by being raped to death with huge dildos made of poison oak, or by having parasitic worms eat his eyeballs and then his brain.

    I'm leaving out the really GROSS fantasies about his deserved death.

    The third thing this made me think of was this:

    Finally, she is able to grasp the knife. Still watching Scarpia, she hides it behind her as she leans against the table. He has now finished making out the pass. He puts his seal upon it and folds the paper, and then, opening his arms, advances towards Tosca to embrace her.

    SCARPIA
    Tosca, now you are mine at last!
    But his shout of lust ends in a cry of anguish: Tosca has struck him full in the breast.
    Accursed one!

    TOSCA
    This is the kiss of Tosca!

    Scarpia stretches out an arm towards her, swaying and lurching as he advances, seeking her aid. She eludes him, but is suddenly caught between him and the table, and seeing that he is about to touch her, she thrusts him back in horror. Scarpia crashes to the floor, shrieking in a voice nearly stifled with blood.

    SCARPIA
    Help! I am dying! Help! I die!

    TOSCA
    She watches him as he struggles helplessly on the floor and clutches at the sofa, trying to pull himself up
    Is your blood choking you?
    And killed by a woman!
    Did you torment me enough?
    Can you still hear me? Speak!
    Look at me! I am Tosca! Oh, Scarpia!

    SCARPIA
    after a last effort he falls back
    Help! Help!

    TOSCA
    bending over him
    Is your blood choking you?
    Die accursed! Die! Die! Die!
    seeing him motionless
    He is dead! And now I pardon him!
    All Rome trembled before him!

    The usual translation for one of Tosca's lines above is "Choke on your own blood!" and she shouts it at Scarpia over and over as he does just that.

    That's how "Tom" deserved to die.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Lucky,

    Thanks for your comment, and for caring.

    I think we're both lucky to have made it to the other side intact, no?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Christopher,

    You did make me laugh, which is something. I honestly don't want anyone to choke on their own blood. Particularly not in front of me. I have enough problem with the cum stains.

    It's really sweet to want to have revenge fantasies on my behalf. Thank you. Just remind me not to get on your bad side!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I'm actually a very kind person. That's why cruelty makes me so very angry.

    As for getting on my bad side, that's unlikely in the extreme. Don't persuade stupid kids to fly planes into my place of employment, harm a child, or torture anyone, and you can pretty much avoid the worst of my bad side!

    Christopher (this is my new Google account)

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm not certain how I discovered your journal, but I love it, and have been reading, over the past couple of days, from the beginning.

    I'm female (and greatly turned on by most of your writing, and transported by your prose). I consider myself heteroflexible.

    I had a similar experience almost 15 years ago; it was a guy I was dating (who I perhaps knew I shouldn't be dating), who thought it would be fun to roofie me and double-team me with his friend, when I'd hadn't even yet kissed the guy I was dating). his friend who had the most monster cock I've ever seen, before or since (truly scary: ugly, scarred, a head as big as my fist, in length as long from my fist to almost my elbow--I'm a small woman)--and decided he should dp me anally.

    I also did not press charges (I'd been drinking, I was wearing a tight leather skirt and a skimpy top, etc, etc).

    and I came through it, too. in fact, after a month of what was close to a nervous breakdown, some small part of me stood up and was heard-- decided I deserved better things in my life (I'd had a crummy job, and wasn't happy overall). as horrible as the experience was, it was the impetus for some change in my life. and that change has led directly to some amazing things.

    your writing touches me; thank you for that gift.

    peace.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous,

    Thank you for both enjoying the writing in the spirit in which it's intended, and for commenting on what's got to be a difficult topic for you.

    I think if these bad events aren't an impetus for change, they fester and rot, and eat away at one's life. Making the changes doesn't erase what happened, by any means. But I suspect those of us who've been through these events manage to feel better about them, and about ourselves, if we stand up and move forward, even a little.

    I'm really, really touched that you shared your history with me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete